Portable amp for HD600
Dec 1, 2001 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

akla

New Head-Fier
Just ordered a HD600 after reading some raving reviews. I'm new at this "head gear" thing though have been an audiophile for many many years. Thought I try something new. Can any body tell me which is the best portable amp for the HD600 (I was told that the Grado RA-1 amp is not a good match for the HD600)also what is the best sounding portable cd player on the market today. Any help from seasoned Head-Fiers will be greatly appreciated. Plan to use this on board my sail boat to listen to classical and opera music.

Dec 1, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi, akla. Some people at this site consider the RA-1 to mate very well with the Senn HD-600s, myself included. The RA-1 is a very neutral amp and powers the Senns quite nicely. However, even though the RA-1 runs on batteries, it's a bit large to be used as a portable, unless it will be stationary. Another amp you might want to consider is a JMT built cmoy design amp. I find that this brings a dynamic quality to the Senns. It's extremely small, light, and very reasonable with regards to cost. Just contact JMT through PM or e-mail to check price and availability.
I'm very happy with my Panasonic SW-SL870 portable CDP. It's built like a tank and sounds great. Other Panasonics to consider are the 470/570 series. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 6
I am very happy with Jan's new porta corda. It does a great job powering my 580's.

JMT also builds wonderful amps and he'll work with you to give you the perfect match to your phones.

Dec 3, 2001 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Joe and Fortune. Your feedback is much appreciated. Where can I find more info on JMT amps, website? In the meantime, I ordered a Grado RA-1 and a Corder Porter on your recomandations. Not much luck in finding the Panasonic 780 cd player Joe recommanded. Nor the 470 and 580. Is Sony any good?

Dec 3, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

In the meantime, I ordered a Grado RA-1 and a Corder Porter on your recomandations.

You bought *both*? Damn you're rich... [mutters incoherently to himself] And rich people are always dumb, yeah, it's Porta Corda, not 'Corder Porter'... mutter... mutter... just kidding
biggrin.gif

JMT is not a company
biggrin.gif
he's a member on this board that makes lots of DIY portable amps for people here (last I checked he's the 'cmoy factory'
tongue.gif
) Go to your user cp and send a message to JMT.
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back