Portable amp for AKG K701
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

miow

Member of the Trade: X-Elite (Headphone mods)
aka dimitri42.
Do you think that a Digizoid Zo2 would drive them properly? I want a portable amp to use with my Sony A865 or Cowon S9. BTW, which one could give best result for the AKG's? The Sony or the Cowon?

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Do you think that a Digizoid Zo2 would drive them properly? I want a portable amp to use with my Sony A865 or Cowon S9. BTW, which one could give best result for the AKG's? The Sony or the Cowon?

Cowan S9 is fairly beefy for a small portable - not too many cheap portable amps though will pair nicely with these
 - remember they're a flagship from AKG and really do deserve desktop amplification.

Having said that, check out what you can score second hand from Ray Samuels Audio - his stuff is mint.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Outstanding advice. I have the little Ray Samuels Hornet and it is particularly impressive, especially for its size. Never really tried to drive the 701s with it, however. Wouldn't surprise me if it did a really nice job. Ray is VERY good.

Quote:

Having said that, check out what you can score second hand from Ray Samuels Audio - his stuff is mint.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Outstanding advice. I have the little Ray Samuels Hornet and it is particularly impressive, especially for its size. Never really tried to drive the 701s with it, however. Wouldn't surprise me if it did a really nice job. Ray is VERY good.

I'm a fan of Ray too - Having heard the Dark Star, Raptor, SR71B, Predator, P-51 and even seeing the finish on an A10
 Thunderbolt II and B-52 is truly a sight for anyone who wants to see a military perfected engineering perspective,.

No warbly warm blubber with Ray that's for sure 
smile.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
So the Ray would make a difference compared to the Zo2? Where can I get it from?

http://raysamuelsaudio.com/

If you cannot afford new then scour for second hand - one thing is for sure - Ray's stuff never grows old.

The man more or less makes the best portable amping in the world outside of Triad or unless iBasso
 pull a miracle out of the bag. Life time guarantee on most of his gear too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back