Portable amp for AKG K271mkII
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DomieMic65

100+ Head-Fier
...any affortable suggestions?
I now have a cMoyBB V2.03 it sounds nice and I am planing to increase the gain a little and do some op amp rolling but I also want some opinions about a portable that can drive really well these rather insensitive cans!

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Define 'affordable', then we'll talk. I'm really not wild about most of the stuff under $200, but I dont buy each successive Fiio model as some here do. It might actually be cheaper in the longterm to just bite the bullet and get the E9 - accept that it takes a little space on your bedside table, but that is better than spending money on successive portables.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Thnx for answering but..... I already have the E9. See my sig. I want a portable so that I can take 271 on the go. OK not in the street but from one place to another, plane, ship, etc...
Afortable is 150$ most. Preferably less ....

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Wow from a little search I did I think its something I would like to try... unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make it on my own!
What do you think of that?
http://www.epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/7.html

Any other links that you may know?

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Yep - my EPH-02  EHP-02 (!) will be here within the next few weeks - just made the final payment.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Well I would like very much to hear your impresions of it! Does it happen to have the 271mkII or the 701's?
Anyway the whole project somehow convinces me and most probably I am going to get it too! Do you have any links of reviews?
I wish I could build it though...:frowning2:

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Well I would like very much to hear your impresions of it! Does it happen to have the 271mkII or the 701's?
Anyway the whole project somehow convinces me and most probably I am going to get it too! Do you have any links of reviews?
I wish I could build it though...:frowning2:

Only AKGs I've owned are the K501/K601, and I wont be revisiting the brand until they come up with something genuinely new. I dont know of any reviews of the EPH-02, but its simply a professionally-built version of the Objective2, and there are a number of listening impressions here. The problem with the main impressions thread is that it descended into a brawl between the OP and 'the rest of Head-Fi' - a mod intervened and I'm not seeing a whole lot of impressions. In a nutshell, those who like the amp report that it does what Voldemort claims - powers a wide range of headphones without stamping its own 'sound' on the end result. If I have a concern for someone buying the Objectve2 as a first amp, its simply that a neutral, transparent amp has the potential to shine a very bright light (metaphorically) on your source (both the gear and your music). For some people, that is exactly what they want - for those of us with a 'mixed bag' of lossless and lossy MP3 collections, it has the potential to drive us toward warmer, less revealing kit.

You mentioned that you have a CMoY - did you read Mike's 'sub-$100' shootout ?

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

I dont know if those little guys have the grunt to drive your cans, but its an interesting article - when I arrived here, there were very few 'ready-made' amps under 300USD, much less under $100. Good times.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 12
Yes I have read the headfonia shootout... I was thinking of giving a try to the pa2v2 but finally I don't think it will be what the 271 want!
If the amp does what you describe above looks like it is something I would like to have... anyway -or "anycan"- please when you get it post your opinion about it (here or pm)!

Good times to you too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back