(portable?) amp for AKG 271 and MDR-V6
Jul 6, 2008 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

audiofreek

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for an amp for my two headphones. I already built a Cmoy, but not sure it made much of a difference besides being louder. I've searched, and I think I need something high-current. I'd prefer portable, and don't mind DIY, but I'd like to stay under US $100. does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 6
The issue has been debated and redebated (in reference to the 701s). Portable is probably not the best choice if you want to drive them. I think they can, and I like what some of my portable amps do with it. However, there are two camps to is and that is whether portable amps are capable of driving them. My recommendation, get a stationary one since I dont find my 701s going with me anywhere.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply... I am using AKG 271 though not 701. I wouldnt take a pair of 701s anywhere either. But, I tend to use both the AKG and Sony for monitoring and critical listening, and I also take the Sony on the road since it's more portable, hence the preference for a portable amp. I am leaning toward building something from AMB's site. The mini 3 looks good, but I think the higher performing version eats batteries pretty quick. Or a pimeta or ppa from tangent's site, for non-portable.

Anyone have any thoughts on these amps with my phones?

thanks!

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 6
try posting in the DIY forum

good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back