Portable amp for ~$110
Mar 15, 2006 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

aud1ophile

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a portable amp that's powerful enough to drive the Sennheiser 580s. I've seen the Z-audio Epsilon for $99, the Shellbrook Super mini moy for $107, PA2v2 for $60, Headroom Airhead for $99, and I've been wondering if anyone can help me look for the appropriate amp that suits me. thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 26
well, i'm now looking at the Shellbrook Mini Head and the Portaphile X3. The Portaphile is about $18 more, and with that $18, I can get the Mini head for $95 and just a pair of male-to-male connectors for about $18.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 26
Mini³, whenever the boards come out.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 26
I just bought a Portaphile X^3. It's small and very solid looking. The nice thing about the unit is you can upgrade later ( once budget allows ) to better caps, class A biasing, buffers and DC panel (highly recommended).

I upgraded the to the Black Gate caps so I'm burning it in now before I form an opinion but so far, from the little I've heard - it's tough waiting , it's very promising
orphsmile.gif

For the mini to mini connector, head over to the DIY section and read up on how to make an interconnect. Then, order your Canare Star Quad and Switchcraft plugs from http://www.markertek.com/ . This will cost you about $10 and is well worth it. Spend alittle more and be happy.

One last comment. In my experience, Cesar was very good in getting back in touch with me and was very patient with all my questions. Give it a try and email him some questions.

good luck and hit me up if you have any questions.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 26
I can highly recommend the PA2V2...it should drive your Senns just fine. I can't comment on the Shellbrook Super Mini Moy (I assume you are purchasing this used, since the most recent Shellbrook Labs lineup consists of: Mini-Head (and Mini-Head Signature), and the Maxi-Head (and Maxi-head Signature). The Super Mini-Moy was replaced by the amp I currently own; the Mini-Head Signature.

I personally, prefer the sound of my Mini-Head Sig, over the PA2, with certain source material, and with higher bit-rate downloads. I have also found, however, that the PA2V2 sounds better than the Shellbrook, when it's run directly from it's rechargeable batteries. My Shellbrook only surpasses my PA2V2, when it's run from an AC mains outlet. There is a huge diff in longevity of battery life, between charges. The PA2 will run roughly a month between charges; the Shellbrook only gets about 8-10 hours.

If your priority is detail resolution; I'd say get a Shellbrook. I also have a non-Signature Mini-Head (a limited model, that came finished in black, with silver edges, and a silver volume knob). It also sounds slightly more open and tighter in the bass with great bottom end extension, than the PA2V2, and runs off a 9-volt NIMH batt. (I currently use Maha super-powerful rechargeable batts).

As much as I like the sound, though, of the Shellbrook amps; I prefer the PA2V2, when I go portable, and take it on the road. It's got great bass, clear mids, smooth trebel, and a lifetime no-fault warrenty. You just can't beat 100-hours between charges, and the small sacrifice in detail resolution, is surpassed by the fact that I don't worry about the thing running out of juice; even when I run it hard. A great-sounding execution of design that works!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 26
might want to wait for the pint boards to be released. Bunch of DIYers are already stocking up parts. Might be able to find a pimeta for $110.

Garrett

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
so you're SURE that the PA2v2 can drive the 580s well? Can anyone comment on this?

I for one dont like the PA2V2 with my HD580.... not enough highs anre upper mids. The PA2V2 is a VEARY warm sounding circuit, which further colors the already tame HD580 mids.

Garrett

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I for one dont like the PA2V2 with my HD580.... not enough highs anre upper mids. The PA2V2 is a VEARY warm sounding circuit, which further colors the already tame HD580 mids.

Garrett

This is true...the PA2V2 does have a warm-sound, which may be too-much of a good thing, when coupled to the Senn HD580's; which already have a warm sound. But, it WILL be able to drive them.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver
... But, it WILL be able to drive them.

I'm sorry, but that just sealed it. My B-day will be on April 27th. I'll order it then. But I think i'll go unamped for a while until the PINT boards are released. BTW, does anyone know how the pints will be compared to cmoys? Thanks for everything fellas, and I'll be sure to right a review. It isn't completely terrible unamped for a while, is it? I'm just hoping that the 580s will still be on stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back