Portable Amp/DAC vs Soundcard/Amp
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jlava

Head-Fier
I am going back in forth with what hardware to get. I definitely want a portable amp to run off my Ipod Touch. I would also like to be able to run this amp off my desktop while at home for better quality while at home. My motherboard's onboard soundcard is pretty bad, it was cheap and is fairly old now. Now the question is whats the difference between getting a DAC or upgrading my soundcard? Which one would be best paired with whatever portable amp I decide on.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 8
  I am going back in forth with what hardware to get. I definitely want a portable amp to run off my IPod Touch. I would also like to be able to run this amp off my desktop while at home for better quality while at home. My motherboard's on-board sound card is pretty bad, it was cheap and is fairly old now. Now the question is whats the difference between getting a DAC or upgrading my sound card? Which one would be best paired with whatever portable amp I decide on.

A DAC is just basically a Digital to Analog Converter.
On Head-Fi when someone talks about a "DAC", usually they are referring to an external DAC, which may or may not also come with a built in headphone amplifier.
A sound card comes with a DAC chip and an audio processor chip (and other features).

I FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) can be used with the iPod and also plugged into a sound card.
A Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) is a good match for plugging the FiiO E11 into.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
  So a sound card and an external DAC do about the same thing if I am correct. Whats the difference between investing in either or? 

External DAC is really simply about audio quality, usually for music, and does not usually provide any extra features, like creating headphone surround sound.
Sound cards are more of a balance between gaming and music (maybe a little more towards surround sound gaming).
Sound card is a jack of all trades and an external DAC just tries to do one job.
One good point about going external is the external audio device will not be effected by any "electrical noise" that might (?) be generated inside the computer case.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok so I think I want a DAC. What is a good one that can be paired with a portable amp? I am looking into getting a portable amp as well, possible a Fiio E11, but could use help with amps as well.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 8
  Ok so I think I want a DAC. What is a good one that can be paired with a portable amp? I am looking into getting a portable amp as well, possible a Fiio E11, but could use help with amps as well.

FiiO E17 portable DAC/Amp, everything in one small package.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 8
  How is that DAC on that compared to a normal DAC. Does the USB aspect make it produce less quality? I wouldn't want to skimp on it to have to replace it later.

The E17 comes with the WM8740, which seems to be a fairly liked DAC chip.
With the E17, you can connect to your computer using USB or S/PDIF (optical & coaxial).
USB an easier connection, but bypass the sound card features.
Where as with S/PDIF, you can still use the sound card features (like any headphone surround sound it comes with).
The E17 can use S/PDIF with add-on sound cards and on-board sound cards
The E17's headphone amplifier can power headphones from like 12-Ohm to maybe 300-Ohms.
Technically the E11 comes with a more powerful headphone amplifier, but the E17 can still work with most headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back