Portable AMP/DAC for both home and travel use with UM Merlin
Oct 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Costantino

New Head-Fier
I'll likely be purchasing UM Merlin CIEMs and was wondering if anyone could kindly recommend a solid amp/DAC without a far-fetched price to me.

In the time that I have had available I've stumbled upon the FiiO E17 which has a <0.3Ω impedance.

(http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000014895351)

This is excellent considering that I've read that it's best to use an amp with a <1Ω impedance to avoid changes in frequency response with the UM Merlin, but I unfortunately don't have the luxury to extensively research these things at this moment in time, hence my plea for assistance.

My goal is to achieve the best possible sound out of the Merlin both at home and whilst commuting without spending an extraordinary amount, and I was wondering if there are any better options than the E17.

Also, on a brief separate note, would it be worth purchasing a portable music player or is my Nexus 4 a sufficient device to play music from when using an AMP/DAC?

Any responses are much appreciated.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 5
The N4 sounds terrible by itself, I have one and I don't use it for music. It also has an issue where the USB out doesn't work unless you flash some mod into the firmware. You are either gonna have to carry a DAC or a DAP, so I'd consider a DAP since you wont be limited by the storage size of the N4.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 5
The N4 sounds terrible by itself, I have one and I don't use it for music. It also has an issue where the USB out doesn't work unless you flash some mod into the firmware. You are either gonna have to carry a DAC or a DAP, so I'd consider a DAP since you wont be limited by the storage size of the N4.

I have a Galaxy Note 3 coming tomorrow (but may switch to the Sony Xperia Z1 if I'm not happy with it) but I doubt that will be much better sound wise. Thanks for the advice, I'll go for a DAP. Have you got any recommendations for DAPs? Would I need anything else to get the most out of the Merlin?

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I assume the Merlin isn't your first iem? Drive it with the note 3 and see if anything is wrong. Then compare it against your current phones on your desktop setup(if you have one). I've only had sansa fuze and iPod for DAP so they are not top tier but definitely better than my N4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back