portable amp+dac - 150$
Sep 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pedelt

New Head-Fier
Hey,

Just bought my first full size after years of IEMs.
It is the AKG q701, and my current amp - fiio e6 - isn't enough.
Im thinking of getting an amp+dac combo. why? because I want a single device for home & on the road use. mostly budget wise.
For the portable use, my source is quite good - cowon s9, so I dont really think I need a dac for it. but ofcourse, it does need some more juice.
But, I do need the dac for home use with my computer. I use the onboard 889 chip, and its... so bad. And because of that, I use my cowon for home use too.

So I need a good (relatively yes?) dac+amp, on the 150$ zone. shipped.
After reading some threads here I got the impression that the recommended models for me would be the Fiio E17, or the iBasso dzero.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 14
[size=small]E17 versus the Ibasso D-Zero[/size]
Built and dimensions wise, I like the D-Zero better. It’s smaller, slimmer, uses fully analog controls, and is lighter. However, when it comes to the sound, again I’m for the Fiio’s warmer, fuller sounding sound. For more details on the D-Zero comparison, you can look at the D-Zero review, where I compared it to the E10 (think of the E17 as a supercharged E10).
http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?page=2&ID=172

I think if you have the possibility to hear both on yourself that would be the best choice, since hearing is imho very subjective. From what I read I went for the e17 over the ibasso, but that was just my opinion. I didn't have the chance to hear both.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 14
ODAC + O2 is a great combo, but no much portable and the OP will have to almost double his budget though.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Hippo CriCri+

I have one in the fs section, sound is better than the E17, but the E17 has more functions.

Regards

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Sep 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
ODAC + O2 is a great combo, but no much portable and the OP will have to almost double his budget though.

His needs seemed more aligned with the "transportable", but I could be mistaken.

And yes, the budget is a hard one to work within. My suggestion clearly does not fit within it. Wasn't gonna keep me from dropping the product name(s) though :)

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Personally I've always avoided Fiio products. They seem so cheap and shoddy. I use a Headroom Total Bithead with my Q701's. A great choice for this price range with a DAC.

http://www.amazon.com/Headroom-Corp-Total-Bithead-HeadRoom/dp/B003WXBFS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347918322&sr=8-1&keywords=headroom+total+bithead
ir

It seems they only have them there used. You may be able to find it elsewhere new if it's that important to do so.

Have a Total BitHead myself - no ever close to the kind of performance level of E17 or D-Zero, both audibly and measurement wise. It is just a very outdated design compared to many of the new comers.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 14
Sep 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks guys.
Decided to go with the e17. Just arrived 10 minutes ago, its a great amp!!
But i have a problem with it as a usb dac. Its sounds great, but every 5 seconds ~ the sound get jammed for like 0. something seconds.

Whats the cause of this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 14
Just a guess, my e17 came with an uncharged battery. You might want to fully charge it and then see if the problem persists. Mine kept shutting off all the time when I wanted to start using it right out of box. Give it a try and tell us if it worked!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Have a Total BitHead myself - no ever close to the kind of performance level of E17 or D-Zero, both audibly and measurement wise. It is just a very outdated design compared to many of the new comers.

Yeah I've nothing to compare it to as of yet. Except maybe my Sony home theater system, which isn't anything extraordinary either. I just ordered a CMOY tube amp off eBay. I'll probably just use the BH for the DAC into the CMOY for home use. For portable use I guess the BH will suffice. I do use rechargeable batteries though, which everyone says is a no-no.

Eventually I'll build my own home amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back