Portable amp and/or amp+dac that uses 18650 batteries???
Dec 28, 2014 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Oktyabr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm a vaper.  I haven't had a cigarette in almost two years.  From 20+ years at 2 packs a day, average, that is something I never thought I would live long enough to ever say.

That said I use "mechanicals" for vaping that utilize high amperage (20+ steady output, when required), high mah (2000-3000 mah) rechargable 4.2v batteries.  My wife uses them too.  Between the two of us we have close to 20 of them (about US$8 each).  Older ones get relegated to our Cree based flashlights which is an awesome path to recycle.  I'm looking for a high current capable (AKG) headphone amp that would primarily be used as a desktop device and wonder if any of the current or near future expected amps might utilize this battery too?  Would sure be handy.  A built in DAC would be a nice feature as well but not worth it (to me) to double the price.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I just got 4 Trustfire (flame) 18650 3000mAh batteries, right now I'm testing their capacity on a BT-C3400, see how close to 3000mAh they can get.
I've never heard of a headphone amplifier using 18650 (or 26650) batteries, might be a little bulky for portability.

As your looking for a DAC/amp for mostly desktop use, might as well get something AC

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 5
The only thing is:

A) A lot of portable amps can match AC (desktop) amps for power/price these days.

B) Why have two if one will go portable, if I really need it to?

I know the Objective2 style amps use rechargeable nine volt batteries in them, two of them.  This seems like an odd ball size to utilize unless it's truly necessary to the build.  As popular as 18650 is getting to be now, between flashlights and vaping, I thought I would go fishing to see if anyone had actually incorporated them in to a build.  I wonder who might be the best company to approach with such an idea (ALL OF THEM!)  :D

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Actually, check this out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-Portable-PCM1794-2-XMOS-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-AMP-Android-Support-/221583676254

There might be hope after all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back