Portable Amp < $100
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elmer_42

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to consider purchasing my first portable amp. I'm on a very limited budget, and I don't really want to spend too much on a portable amp. I've been considering an amp with a DAC in it, but these are just too expensive for me right now. It looks like the top two contenders at my range are the Go-Vibe and the PA2V2. Specifically, I am looking at a certain Go-Vibe V5 for $75 on the sale forums and the Pocket Amp 2 Version 2 for $60 (I think that's how much he sells them for). How do these two compare? Are there any other amps at around this range that would be a good choice for me?

I doubt I will be purchasing it too soon. It could be a month or two before I buy one, it took me almost a year to finally settle on the cans I just bought. I realize that I may not get the same price on a Go-Vibe, and I may even be able to get a newer one. If I do end up trying to wait for a later Go-Vibe, would it be worth waiting months to get a newer Go-Vibe?

I mainly listen to trance/techno (Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Armin van Buuren) and alternative (Jack Johnson, Coldplay), but have lately been looking into and enjoying some progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Opeth), rock (AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Who), and trip-hop (Massive Attack, Portishead).

I currently use my Zen Vision: M and my (self-made) PC as sources. The PC has no sound card, and uses the onboard sound from a Gigabyte motherboard (I'm on vacation and can't check the specific model right now). When/if my ZV:M dies I think I will probably getting a Cowon D2.

My cans as of now are Grado SR80s. After only a week of owning them, I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm looking into IEMs, but those will certainly be a later purchase for a much later time. So far, the Etymotic ER-4P catches my eye, but I'm sure that I will go back and forth between a ton of them before settling on one.

So there you have it. I'm looking for a good amp for techno and rock that will work well with a Zen Vision: M and Grado SR80s. Thank you for taking the time to read this topic, and I hope you will add your knowledge to this topic.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I also have a Vision M and a pair of Grados 60's which I think sound great. I am also in the market for a new semi portable rig that I can use on the Larkspur Ferry here in SF and that will not weigh a ton so I carry it in my pack and not wear me out when I bike to work. I don't think there is much to be gained with a secondary amplifier onthe Zen since the SQ will largely be dependent on the DACs in the Zen. I'm waiting for the prices to drop when the next set of UMPCs hit the market like the Asus EEE. I'm leaning towards the iBasso D2 Boa and the MSI wind as a new player. I would expect the DACs and the electronic environment in a mini laptop to be pretty dismal.

Anybody know how the iBasso/laptop stacks up to a Zen M in terms of SQ. Using a windows PC as a player has a tremendous advantage over the Zen in terms of ease of use and being able to play video on a much bigger screen.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Well I'm probably the last person who should be giving advice on amps but I have read a ton of posts here about amps, especially the ones that compare all the different portable ones.

Even though the Pa2v2 ranks pretty low on the list, they did say that it sounded _incredible_ with Grados.

Here's the post...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/3...review-250223/

And here's part of the quote....
"mrarroyo: PA2V2: This amp has a special significance since it was the first portable amp I ever owned. Listening to it again brought back its abilities and limitations. If you only have $60 get it, especially if you have Grado or Etymotic cans. This little amp is made to drive Grado/Etymotic a job it does extremely well. When you put into the equation the excellent service that Gary provides it makes this amp an easy amp to own."

I have this amp and I think it sounds great. I've never heard any other ones so its hard to compare but it seems more than capable of driving my Denon D2000's and they sound fantastic.

Personally I'd like to upgrade just to see what else is out there but I dont want to spend a lot so the $100 range is where I'm hoping to stay. I'll be keeping an eye this thread and see what everyone else recomends.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Tapiozona:
You sound a lot like me
lol-028805.gif
. I've read those topics too many times. A lot of other people have also said that the synergy between Grados and the PA2V2 is amazing. Something for me to think about, though, is that the review you cite places the Go-Vibe 5 at quite a high point on their list, even comparing it to the Hornet. That's pretty amazing for $15 more. Then again, I have no opinions on the synergy between it and Grados yet, so that may be a losing situation.

acameron56:
I don't exactly have a problem buying used as long as it's still in good shape and from a reliable seller. However, there aren't any right now on the FS forums, so I may wait to see what happens.

e:Does anybody know how the Penguin Caffeine and Royal fit with my preferences and gear?

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Problem is, there are like 4 people vying for that amp and I seriously doubt I could out-bid them. Thanks for looking, though.

Does anybody have any experience in mating the Penguin Caffeine to Grado cans?

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody have any experience in mating the Penguin Caffeine to Grado cans?

I have a Penguin Caffeine amp made by Headphonia and also own Grado SR60's. The combo sound very good together. I think the fact that it uses a 9V battery allows it to supply the current that otherwise easy to drive Grados can really use.

The difference is pronounced enough that I no longer can bear to listen to the SR60s straight out of my iPod. It just sounds too dull and lifeless that way.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm not quite sure what to do. Has anybody had the chance to hear the Caffeine side-by-side with the PA2V2? Those are really my two main choices right now. I kind of like the quirky exterior of the Caffeine, which gives it a little bit of an unfair advantage, but I'd rather go for function than form. I think I'd be lucky if anybody has heard them side-by-side, so I'm going to have a tough decision to make.

Thanks, everybody, for all your help, and if anybody has any more information, I would love to hear it.

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 11
I too am interested in an amp for less than a $100. From my own research, I've found the Mini^3, PA2V2, PenguinAmp Caffiene and Royal, and the PINT.

I'm aware that the PCB's for the PINT are no longer available, but I have a friend who does electronics fabrication, and he could make me some of the boards from the pictures + schematics, so that's not an issue. Although I'm not entirely sure why it was discontinued....

I agree with the OP, I am attracted to the novelty of having an amp in a mint tin, but I'd rather not sacrifice quality in the process, how does the PINT or PenguinAmps compare to the Mini^3 or the PA2V2? I'm not shy of DIY projects in the least. Hardest part will be my first surface mount solder job on the IC's.

Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back