Porta Pros = Fart Cannons???
Mar 21, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw this KSC-75 review and thought it was quite funny...

Good sound on the cheap!, November 30, 2005
Reviewer:J. Thomas "jimmyjames8" (Out on the Lost Highway) -
These clip ons, which they aren't, don't sound anything like the Porta Pros or Sporta Pros to these ears. Those fart cannons have way too much bass emphasis for me. These little wonders slip on over the ear with the "clips" acting like the ear pieces on a pair of eye glasses. They have a "bright" crisp sound and do well with rock and guitar oriented music. They sound closer to the Sennheiser PX100's but the KSC75's are much brighter and crisper sounding. The PX100's are more neutral and balanced sounding but cost $40-$50 and have recently undergone a face lift with possible subsequent changes to the sound. The KSC75's are a no brainer for $15 to $20. You cannot do better!

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 18
my portaPros resent that. I love the sound signature they have, which is why I got the AKG k240s. I guess I might be considered a basshead.
basshead.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 18
the thing that makes it bass heavy is the headband. stick a ksc-75 driver on the portapro band and BOOMBASS. stick a blue portapro driver on a ksc-75 clip and "hey where's the bass?"

Best combo - KSC-75 driver on KSC-35 clip, and KSC35 recabled with sparkly silver wire on the portapro band.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 18
I have used that term before to describe other cans that I thought lacked sub bass extension, midrange and treble.

So, while the portapro is bass bloated, IMHO it has enough treble and highs to not qualify it as a fart cannon.

Dont quote me in this, but I think that term originated in car audio - DB drag circles. Where competitors blast ~50 Hz tones for 2-3 second intervals, where the ONLY sonic goal is to reach maximum becibel levels. They sound like..."BWAAAAAAAHP"... literally like farts.

Garrett

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
my portaPros resent that. I love the sound signature they have, which is why I got the AKG k240s. I guess I might be considered a basshead.
basshead.gif

You mean the AKG 240 S? Or do you mean the K240's because I own the K240's and I think not many other people have them

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have used that term before to describe other cans that I thought lacked sub bass extension, midrange and treble.

So, while the portapro is bass bloated, IMHO it has enough treble and highs to not qualify it as a fart cannon.

Dont quote me in this, but I think that term originated in car audio - DB drag circles. Where competitors blast ~50 Hz tones for 2-3 second intervals, where the ONLY sonic goal is to reach maximum becibel levels. They sound like..."BWAAAAAAAHP"... literally like farts.

Also, you have to know that these days the term "fart cannon" can refer to a loud, buzzing (as opposed to rumbling) exhaust system on cars. (You know, the loud tailpipes sticking out the rear of those tiny "souped-up" economy cars.)

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 18
oh man that title is funny, and you must have some stinky ears.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
You mean the AKG 240 S? Or do you mean the K240's because I own the K240's and I think not many other people have them

the 240 Studio, I might want to clarify that in my sig. You have a 240 without a M, or S?

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 18
late in the burn in period my portapro's rumbled a little when reaching the lowest registers, kinda farty. after they stopped, they also stopped swallowing up my guitar solos. fine now.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Naah, IMO Portapro's bass isn't loose enough to call them fart cannons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back