Porta Corda MkII: first impressions
Dec 18, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 36
(Types with shaky hands......)

MMuusst haave nnnew amppppp.....

.....going ccrazy....

etysmile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #32 of 36
Yum, just replaced the battery with a DC adapter. If anyone cares, it's a Mascot 6823 (12-24VDC). Might be just a placebo effect, but I think the sound is cleaner now. Or something. Better than before anyway
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #33 of 36
I've been experimenting a bit with the crossfeed feature. The effect seems to be very subtle, it reduces the bass punch a bit, sounds a bit more relaxed and also takes a bit away from soundstage (not that my Alessandros have that much soundstage to begin with
wink.gif
).

I also get an impression that the band is playing more directly in front of me, on a smaller stage and bit further away than without crossfeed applied.

I'll probably won't use the feature much, because I rarely have any problems with the music I'm usually listening. It's still a nice addition to the feature set of the amplifier and doesn't alter the sound too much so it's probably quite useful to people that like to use crossfeed.

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #34 of 36
The crossfeed effect is subtle to such an extent that I actually thought it wasn't working, and I have an awful lot of recordings which could benefit from the magic of crossfeed. Using an extreme example, panning the music to the left or right, confirmed that the crossfeed circuit was indeed working although more quietly than I expected.

Dec 23, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
The main difference between NiMH and alkaline is that NiMH will maintain the same voltage before dying out while alkalines will slowly lose voltage. The effect is that sound quality will slowly decline over the life of the battery with alkalines, while NiMH will sound the same until they need recharging. On the other hand alkalines will last longer for a charge cycle.

This is the reason I'm gettins some 9V NiMHs for mine (PIMETA and soon on the way Porta Corda). I can tell the alkaline battery is getting down to the last few hours with the PIMETA, and I expect that the NiMHs will be better in this regard - more consistent performance throughout the charge. And over time, they WILL pay for themselves, even including the charger, and it is less environmental waste, however small. The latest 250ma batteries from Thomas should be able to be charged hundreds of times (manuf. claims up to 1000 times, but in reality...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back