Porta Corda II just arrived!
Nov 14, 2002 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pierre Lambion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got my Porta Corda II from Jan Meier. Great service as previously and great product too! It's my first amp so I won't try to actually review it. I will just comment on the solid build quality and the professional finishing of it.

I plugged into it my Philips DVD 722 and my AKG240s and threw at it a few CDs (Mark Knopfler, Phish, Nick Drake, Queen, ...). Sound is very dynamic and detailed. Too soon to speak about bass, highs and midrange but I like it very much so far.

I just don't notice much difference with and without crossfeed. It might need some burn-in tiem ...?

The RCA-3.5 interconnect between my DVD and the Porta Corda is really cheap (from a supermarket, I have to find the time to get in an hifi store ...) and cracks a bit when I moves it. On the other hand the regular 3.5-3.5 cable Jan provides with the PC II is much better (no cracks at all). I might try DIY IC's.

I'm happy
cool.gif

P.

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 10
There's a Porta Corda II now? Where can I get info? I don't see anything about it on Meier-Audio. Thanks Pierre.

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 10
The porta-corda on Meier's website is the second version of the porta-corda so it is the porta-corda II though it doesn't specifically say so on the website.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 10
the new PCII amp is said to run approx 100hrs on a single 9V battery!! truely excellent! A DIP switch to run in class A and turn led on and off. The Oehlbach interconnect and the 120 ohm plug included is also of very hih quality.

my only regret is that it does not come with a pre-installed power socket for external supply. Jan, if youre reading this.. Otherwise, an exceptionally built, professional quality portable headamp. very versatile.

btw: im a very happy owner of a Porta Corda so do take the aboveas my biased opinion.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 10
i just bought one too, i have a newbie question. On fixup's site he lists his Mini amp as having 450ma ouput. On Meier-audio, the PCII doesn't have a milliamp rating but is listed as +17dB output. Can someone tell me how these two compare, power-wise?

My source (Nomad Zen) is listed as 100ma output, and from reading other post it seems 40-60ma is pretty standard on portables.

Nov 18, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I just don't notice much difference with and without crossfeed.

That's a feature. Meier's crossfeeds are very subtle, and this is a good thing.

If you want to be sure to hear the difference, play a track with music in just one channel, then turn the crossfeed on and off. It should be obvious in this situation. Your normal music probably doesn't have much stereo separation, so the crossfeed hardly changes the sound.

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 10
any more information on this little amp? I can't find any user reviews in this forum. I am curious how it compares to a Fixup Mini and a portable META42. What type of amp design is the PCII anyway? I am still trying to learn about the different types

Users who are viewing this thread

Back