Porsche Accident : Sad Story : Drive Carefully
May 1, 2004 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
My cousin is the son of a rich businessman (no details for security reasons). Nice chap with a passion for fast cars and he bought a superbly restored Porsche 911 Turbo special edition straight from the Porsche factory.

His father collects Ferrari's and Porsche classics and modern cars and my cousin was not allowed to "appropriate" one of them for his own use. So he saved up for a while and bought this one.

Well...

I was scheduled to visit him this summer and visit Jan Meier as well in Germany but something happened which might put an end to my involvement with motorsports and cars in general.

My cousin spun his car on a right turn on a cobbled street in Wurzburg. He was doing 80mph (he has done 100 on that same turn several times before - he used to brag about it to me) when he lost the tail and the car wrapped itself around a lamp-post bringing it from around 50 mph down to 0 in less than a second.

Porsche was alerted by the electronics they install in these cars (my cousin and his father are terrorist targets) and the cops and paramedics were at the scene in under 5 minutes. Chris (not his name) was extracted from the car in critical condition and rushed to the nearest hospital.

He has been diagnosed with multiple fractures, internal bleeding in the torso, and in the brain and is in critical condition.

The doctors think he will survive (The direct impact was on the passenger side of the car and the drivers side was relatively preserved) but they are not sure of his mental capacity because of the head injuries. I was contacted a few minutes back for any information because his last call from his mobile phone was to me (I just got my first mobile phone and he wanted to congratulate me). I told them that he was not drunk and that he never used drugs.

Porsche is looking to get the car from the impound to check for sabotage or mechanical failures.

Please drive carefully...thats all I want to say at this point of time
frown.gif

[EDIT]Removed pics...too disturbing[/EDIT]

May 1, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 53
that stinks... judging from the pictures he is lucky the car is left wheel drive?

May 1, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 53
I really hope that your cousin will be ok

May 1, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 53
oh man... lucky he was in a well made car or things might have been a lot worse. the best of luck to your cousin.

May 1, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 53
I've always wondered why there is still so much cobble stone in Europe. Guess the roads can last for over 100 years. But cobble stone raods in NYC have been for the most part been surfaced over because of ice, frost and moisture. It could have been worse, though. It looks like he was T-Boned, so at least it wasn't with another car involved. Doesn't look like there was too much that could have been done. Hope he recovers.

May 1, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 53
Man, let your uncle and family know we're praying for the recovery of your cousin. It must be hard for them to deal with this, and was probably a big scare to hear something happened to him.

May 1, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 53
Car accidents are terrible, on the interstate in my city (Virginia Beach) a family was pushed off the road by a semi-truck and the mom died instantly, the dad barely survived and was taken off life support by his oldest son, and I think the daughter died too. I don't know too much about it, but the family was gone in 1 moment.

May 1, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 53
If it was a cobbled street, it was most probably also limited to 50 km/h - especially inside the city limits...

Lini

May 1, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 53
I'm very sorry to hear about the accident. But it's a good thing that the paramedics got there so fast. I hope your cousin gets better soon.

May 1, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 53
While yes, it's a tragic story, I don't think that it's a reason to swear off an interest in cars... I know a couple guys here who died due to a head-on on the gravel roads. They were too far over on the left (no dividing lines or shoulders, understand) and a truck smacked into them. The truck dude was fine; one was dead on impact, the other died within 5 minutes. And yes, they were wearing seatbelts. [size=small]MASS[/size]:[size=xx-small]mass[/size] usually has one outcome.

But I still enjoy driving, seeing how fast I can corner (gravel roads are entirely different as you have plenty of warning if the tail is going to skip out, unlike pavement), deliberately kicking the tail out in the truck, that sort of thing. It's sobering, yes, and makes you think, but ultimately, I don't think it should affect activities you once enjoyed.

Just my .02...

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 1, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 53
gsferrari,

I had a friend who was riding a Harley at 50mph when a car turned directly into his path. My friend was not wearing a helmet (pre helmet laws), and he vaulted over the handle bars and hit his head on the car. He was also seriously injured, and was presumed brain damaged. It took a long time and much rehab, during which he very much acted and sounded permanently mentally disabled. But long story short, he eventually made a full recovery, with no permanent damage. It is amazing what medicine and time can do to heal.

Where there is life there is hope. Keep thinking positive thoughts.

Good luck, and God Bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back