Popular music of Turkey, the Caucasus & Central Asia
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 335

ADUHF

Headphoneus Supremus
Kind of a strange topic. But these areas and are all home to large populations of Turkic speakers. So thought I'd create a little thread for em. For purposes of this topic, Central Asia may include "the stans" (e.g. Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc.), and also Mongolia. And possibly some parts of Northwestern China.

Post as often as you like here. But please put each video, audio track or album in a separate post. And post only authorized and official content by the artists or their labels whenever possible.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 335
I've listened to alot of Turkish pop in the last 5-10 years, and some of the more well-known artists include: Bengu, Betul Demir, Demet Akalin, Ebru Polat, Funda Arar, Gulben Ergen, Gulsen, Irem Derici, Hadise, Hande Yener, Mabel Matiz, Merve Ozbey, Serdar Ortac, Sibel Can, Sila, Soner Sarikabadayi, Tarkan, Zara (who does folk & some pop), and Ziynet Sali.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 335
The above list is probably biased toward the ladies btw. (Mabel, Serdar, Soner & Tarkan are the only men.) I like work by all the above though.

Tarkan routinely gets high views on his videos. And Gulsen scored a fairly big hit a few years ago with this ditty. (SQ is a little weak on this.)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 335
Ebru has a little 3D fun with the black bars (aka "letterboxing" to cinema buffs) on this track...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 335

Very nice piece, wuwhere. I've only scratched the surface of many countries in Central Asia. So I'll be very curious to hear what others are listening to from that region, as well as the Caucasus.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 335
Original version of "Gobi" from The Story of the Weeping Camel OST, posted by wuwhere above. This has the full intro (which is quite nice), and a little better SQ I think than the previous version.

Boertemusic - "Gobie"

Only plays on YT.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 335
A couple other fun lady Mongolian groups I ran across while searching for the above...

Shanz 3 is named after the traditional Mongolian 3-stringed guitar the ladies all play, which is called a shanz (or shudraga in Mongolian).

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 335

The novelty of groups like this tends to wear off for me. But I like the way elements of old & new are often blended in this region. And work like above can be a nice change of pace from the usual Asian pop fare. There's a similar ethno-metal band in Japan called Wagakki that's quite good imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back