Popular Classical Music
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #6,813 of 8,694
The successor to Orchestra!, Concerto! was broadcast on Channel 4 in 1993. Presented by Dudley Moore, it featured great soloists under the baton of Michael Tilson-Thomas rehearse, discuss and perform great classical concertos, in a fun and informative way. This edition features pianist Alicia De Larrocha and Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #6,815 of 8,694
I haven’t posted anything in a while, and i need to catch up with a few pages of messages 😀
In the meanwhile i’m listening to this, the piano quintets would do Brahms proud I guess. Beautiful playing by the Takacs
1634317501596.png

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #6,817 of 8,694
Last night's Friday concert from The Helix concert hall, Dublin (15 Oct 2021)

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Ballade op.33
Grazyna Bacewicz Concerto for String Orchestra
Rachmaninov Symphony no. 2 in E minor

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Ruth Reinhardt (conductor)
Paul Herriott presents

View programme notes here

Intro starts at 3' 20''

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #6,819 of 8,694
Indeed Sir, it was a live recording. I used to go to nearly all the concerts for more than 25 years, before one of my ears suddenly died (Dec 2019). Then Covid came about 2 months later. I have no plans to go to any concert for the foreseeable future. Her Lightness and I don't fancy the hassle of wearing masks for the duration of a concert as well as the unnecessary risk. The dynamic range swings of a full orchestra is just too much for my broken ear. I get distortion in my bad ear which is a little unpleasant. We went to so many concerts that we don't really miss it that much.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #6,820 of 8,694
Indeed Sir, it was a live recording. I used to go to nearly all the concerts for more than 25 years, before one of my ears suddenly died (Dec 2019). Then Covid came about 2 months later. I have no plans to go to any concert for the foreseeable future. Her Lightness and I don't fancy the hassle of wearing masks for the duration of a concert as well as the unnecessary risk. The dynamic range swings of a full orchestra is just too much for my broken ear. I get distortion in my bad ear which is a little unpleasant. We went to so many concerts that we don't really miss it that much.

Unfortunate, LM. Hope the sensory adaptation has not been too traumatic. Hearing the world in mono must take a lot of perseverance.

There are a lot of excellent mono recordings available, like some Beecham (Beeth 7th with RPO), Szell, and even Karajan (early Philharmonia).
:L3000:
:beerchug:

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #6,821 of 8,694
Take care Mr. Light Man! Sad to hear you cannot dig live music anymore. Thankfully you can dig it at home
I have becomed used to concerts with masks. I am afraid those are here to stay for some time.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #6,823 of 8,694
Thanks for the kind words Gents!

A cracking version of this song with some orchestral backing, perhaps? :)

Both Sides Now by Mary Fahl (former lead singer of October Project). Originally written and performed by Joni Mitchell.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #6,824 of 8,694
Dear Light-Man Really Sorry to hear, but good to know you seem to be coping quite well with your problem.
And still posting lots of good stuff and often with a twinkle in the eye too.
I am far from sure I would personally cope as you seem to be doing.
I actually went to my first live concert in nearly two years, last Sunday. The Cathedral in Linköping Sweden has an ongoing series of Bach´s organ works and are now allowing an audience again.
It was worth 2 the hours drive for me. But although I enjoyed it a lot musically I felt compelled to hold "a short sermon" to the "compulsory coughers" in the audience after the concert, showing them how to both silence a cough and lowering the risk of sharing their cough a bit, by coughing into a folded arm or armpit instead of out loud.
To my surprise I received an applause by the non-coughers.
Very few masks though
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back