Popular Classical Music
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #6,121 of 8,669
That’s reasonable. I’ll also try to find copies of it on LP. Prices get kind of crazy but maybe I can score a gem. Thanks again.

I have the Solti/Vienna boxes of LPs, bought near-mint from a reseller on CAM. It's decent, but not better than the CDs from Decca. It's hit and miss, as usual with vinyl. Get a copy that's brand new. I was lucky.
Of course, the books that came with the LPs are priceless....

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #6,123 of 8,669
Question:
Can any of you recommend “best quality” sounding digital or LP copy of Wagner’s Die Walküre ???
6F3E49A8-89CB-4FFB-94AC-3C59CCF6F8E3.jpeg
Hello Mr FYFL, not much help here from me also. I am more of a concert goer and YouTuber rather than a connoisseur of the finest recordings available. :nerd:

Richard Wagner Die Walküre Act 3 opening Ride of the Valkyries

Simon Rattle, conductor Berliner Philharmoniker (May 27, 2012)

2BAz.gif

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #6,125 of 8,669
I have the Solti/Vienna boxes of LPs, bought near-mint from a reseller on CAM. It's decent, but not better than the CDs from Decca. It's hit and miss, as usual with vinyl. Get a copy that's brand new. I was lucky.
Of course, the books that came with the LPs are priceless....
Condition is usually culprit of the problem when buying used Classical LPs. Hunting for seal copy is probably the right approach. In the meantime, I think CD will have to do.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #6,129 of 8,669
That piece always makes me want to invade Poland.
It would turn to misery rather quickly. Lol

Speaking of Poland.
Anyone is familiar with this pianist?
I wasn’t sure if Classical or general “what you’re listening to” thread is more appropriate? There she goes:

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #6,130 of 8,669
Sound/Stage | Season 2, Episode 4 - Music that began as a dream of California coast lines and highways for composer John Adams soars at the Hollywood Bowl. FEATURING Los Angeles Philharmonic Gustavo Dudamel, conductor Elissa Johnston, soprano Holly Sedillos, soprano Kristen Toedtman, mezzo-soprano Deborah O’Grady, visuals
“Grand Pianola Music” by John Adams 01:16 Interview with John Adams and Gustavo Dudamel 06:02 I. Part 1A (fast) 24:31 II. Part 1B (slow) 30:32 III. ‘On The Dominant Divide’ (fast)

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #6,133 of 8,669

Friday Concert April 16th - Gavin Maloney conducts Copland, Barber & Adams

Paul Herriott introduces an all-American programme conducted by Gavin Maloney featuring Copland's Quiet City, his atmospheric concert suite for trumpet and orchestra.

Samuel Barber’s gorgeous hymn to smalltown America, Knoxville: Summer of 1915 with soprano Rachel Croash as soloist.

Shaker Loops by the Pulitzer Prize-winning John Adams. Based on childhood memories of an abandoned Shaker colony in New Hampshire. Adams says it 'summons up the vision of these otherwise pious and industrious souls caught up in the ecstatic frenzy of a dance that culminated in an epiphany of physical and spiritual transcendence’.

Copland: Quiet City
Barber: Knoxville - Summer of 1915
Adams: Shaker Loops

Rachel Croash (soprano)
RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra at the NCH Dublin
Gavin Maloney conductor

Intro starts at 2' 30''

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back