Popular Classical Music
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #6,091 of 8,685

Friday April 9th - David Brophy conducts Agnew and Stravinsky

Just three days following the 50th anniversary of Stravinsky's death on 6 April 1971, David Brophy conducts his Eight Instrumental Miniatures, his Danses Concertantes, and his Concerto in E flat (Dumbarton Oaks) which Stravinsky himself described as 'a little concerto in the style of the Brandenburg concertos’.

The concert opens with Elaine Agnew’s Strings A-stray, a feisty and playful fusion in four movements of wide-ranging influences from Ireland to South India via Poland and a bit of Bach and their own distinctive dance characteristic.

Read more in tonight's Programme Notes

Elaine Agnew: Strings A-stray
Stravinsky: Eight Instrumental Miniatures
Stravinsky: Danses Concertantes
Stravinsky: Concerto in E-flat (Dumbarton Oaks)

David Brophy (conductor)
RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Intro starts at 2' 35''

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #6,095 of 8,685
Lola Astanova - Mariage d'Amour

Passacaglia performed by Lola Astanova and written by Handel/Halvorsen/Astanova.

Bach G Minor performed by Lola Astanova and written by Bach/Luo Ni

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #6,098 of 8,685

I have the Björlin set on LPs and imo the best movement of Symphonie Singuliare is the first.
There is also a good cd set on Naxos of Berwalds´ music.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #6,099 of 8,685
The music a little slow in starting in this video

Lola Astanova - Clair de Lune - Claude Debussy

Lola - Amélie Theme - Comptine d'un autre été - Nursery rhyme from another summer.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #6,100 of 8,685
The music a little slow in starting in this video

Lola Astanova - Clair de Lune - Claude Debussy

Lola - Amélie Theme - Comptine d'un autre été - Nursery rhyme from another summer.

OMG Light Man!

What if your wife catches you watching things like this on YT?

Well a bit too Kitschy for my personal taste.

But if this and other videos by Lola can get the YT kids to listen to some good music for a change !
Well then I´m all for it.
There´s even a chance that after a few watchings they start noticing that she is actually playing music and even begin listening to the music too?

She makes Khatia in the Rach 3 video from yesterday look almost like a very cute meek little kitten in comparison.

But although Lola also plays Claire de Lune much better than I ever will ,I still prefer both of Khatia´s YT versions.

Khatia is more poetic and dynamically nuanced than Lola.

Who would I rather date of the two? Depends on my mood I guess? But I have to say I am more envious of Neeme Järvi having been kissed by Khatia than of his telling me that he learned Tchaikovsky directly from Mravinsky and also shook hands with Stokowski in his youth!
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,101 of 8,685
OMG Light Man!

What if your wife catches you watching things like this on YT?

Well a bit too Kitschy for my personal taste.

But if this and other videos by Lola can get the YT kids to listen to some good music for a change !
Well then I´m all for it.
There´s even a chance that after a few watchings they start noticing that she is actually playing music and even begin listening to the music too?

She makes Khatia in the Rach 3 video from yesterday look almost like a very cute meek little kitten in comparison.

But although Lola also plays Claire de Lune much better than I ever will ,I still prefer both of Khatia´s YT versions.

Khatia is more poetic and dynamically nuanced than Lola.

Who would I rather date of the two? Depends on my mood I guess? But I have to say I am more envious of Neeme Järvi having been kissed by Khatia than of his telling me that he learned Tchaikovsky directly from Mravinsky and also shook hands with Stokowski in his youth!
Cheers CC
I'm not nearly qualified enough to comment on her musical abilities, but yup, I do envy her piano

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #6,104 of 8,685
A shortened variation of the last movement (iii) of Sibelius' 5th Symphony, played by Scarbo Quartet

In his diary, Sibelius wrote on the inspiration for the grand theme in his Fifth Symphony:

"Today I saw 16 swans. God, what beauty! They circled over me for a long time. Disappeared into the solar haze like a silver ribbon."

Sibelius 5th Symphony 3rd Movement (a shortened version and with a slower tempo)

The 3rd movement sometimes referred to as 'call or flight of the swans'

I struggled to find good full versions on YouTube

Any good recordings that you would recommend from more recent years, or are they mainly older recordings?

Contrast these with a more original full version that was included in a concert that I posted back in 2018 - which to my surprise has not been deleted after the usual week.

The third movements starts at about 1 hour 54' 30''

Fri 9th March 2018

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #6,105 of 8,685
Any good recordings that you would recommend from more recent years, or are they mainly older recordings?
Hi Mr Lightman,
i love this recording of Sibelius ‘ s symphonies: Simon Rattle and Berliner Philarmoniker https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8077591--sibelius-symphonies-nos-1-7
1618243264849.jpeg

Attachments

• 1618243214764.jpeg
    1618243214764.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back