Popular Classical Music
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #963 of 8,694
If you're feeling cold....

Purcell - King Arthur aria: What Power Art Thou ( The Cold Genius song )

Petteri Salomaa (Bass-baritone) Les Arts Florissants & William Christie

What power art thou, who from below
Hast made me rise unwillingly and slow
From beds of everlasting snow
See’st thou not how stiff and wondrous old
Far unfit to bear the bitter cold, I can scarcely move or draw my breath
Let me, let me freeze again to death.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #964 of 8,694
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #969 of 8,694
Yes LM, thought you might like something to play or sing even :)

Here's one about winter in Buenos Aires.

Piazzolla - Invierno Porteño - Romilio Orellana

I've been looking for a good guitar version of this. This is one of the pieces from the Oystein Baadsvik video that I posted a few videos back. I didn't realize that it was about the winters in Buenos Aires.

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #971 of 8,694
I've been looking for a good guitar version of this. This is one of the pieces from the Oystein Baadsvik video that I posted a few videos back. I didn't realize that it was about the winters in Buenos Aires.

I found it by chance (random clicking) not really knowing the piece but the performance was really good. Invierno means winter and is part of a seasons suite by Piazzolla,. Porteño, I had to look look up and means port city, in this case Buenos Aires.

tens245 - I use Fidelio L2 and it is warm but reasonably clear at the same time. HD600 is also good. Higher up, HD800(S) is often recommended but you might not like them for older recordings.

Karol Szymanowski - Violin Concerto No. 2 - Lydia Mordkovitch, BBC Philharmonic / Vassily Sinaisky

1. Moderato, molto tranquillo - 0:00
2. Allegramente, molto energico - 11:47
3. Andantino, molto tranquillo - 15:32
4. Tempo I 18:02

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #972 of 8,694
I use the Philips Fidelio X2 open back (the HR version is probably a little better than the HD version) and I am finding it hard to justify trying anymore headphones even though I have my eye on the HE560 (but have never heard a planar magnetic which some say can be hard to drive).

Before that I was using AKG K612 which is underestimated or forgotten about with the vast array of options that we have to chose from these days.

The X2 is relatively easy to drive (from a DAP) and is IMO very versatile for classical, female vocals and even EDM, Jazz, etc......................................

Great video and playing! (and don't get me started on her dress :dress::yum: )

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #973 of 8,694
I wonder what kind of headphones would be better for listening to classical music? I doubt it'd be warm ones - maybe more analytical or neutral ones?

okay I have a little advice for you from my experiences.
is that FR is most important thing to consider. Any headphones are already physically EQed(they have peaks and dips. its biggest distorsions in fact.)
I personally recommend any headphone which Sonorworks softwares support. so i can live with cheap Sony MDR-7506 accutually...
other thing is just matter of diffrent taste for diffrent folks. Please save your money.
and there are no perfect recordings and no perfect heaphone and no perfect target curve yet. only god know what is perfect. so YMMV.
good luck!

"Frequency response is the single most important aspect of the performance of any audio device. If it is wrong, nothing else matters." - Dr. Floyd Toole

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #974 of 8,694
I use the Philips Fidelio X2 open back (HR version is probably the best) and I am finding it hard to justify trying anymore headphones even though I have my eye on the HE560 (but have never heard a planer which can be hard to drive).

Before that I was using AKG K612 which is underestimated or forgotten about with the vast array of options that we have to chose from these days.

The X2 is relatively easy to drive (from a DAP) and is IMO very versatile for classical, female vocals and even EDM, Jazz, etc......................................

Great video and playing! (and don't get me started on her dress :dress::yum: )

The Hifiman does require some power to really open up, but once you do give it some power it's great for large symphonic works. Very detailed with great imaging and soundstage. The soundstage sounds very true, not the usual 3 areas of sound. The Sennheiser HD600 are also great very classical. Not the most open sounding or detailed, but very natural sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back