Popular Classical Music
Jun 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #121 of 8,686

Try this composition, it's played on the classical guitar. I would categorize this as neoclassical, I think. Also, Musk Ox is Canadian, not Norwegian / Finnish :)

This whole album basically embodies everything I love about this weird genre, influenced by ambient / dark folk / neofolk / acoustic / classical genres, drawing inspiration from nature and the sounds therein.

But I digress. Accept my apologies. :)

Canadians are great, aren't they
wink.gif
You should check out Loscil if you haven't already.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #122 of 8,686
I haven't posted anything in a few days, so here's another Bernstein performance.  The recording quality is not great, but it is still a great performance.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #123 of 8,686
i just sub'd to this thread, esp given my appreciation and knowledge of classical sucks.
cool.gif

sure i might know the names of the big guns and some their main works, but as per details and more depth, nada.
here's hoping to learn.

my genre is mostly rock and blues.

and did you know that noted singer and rhythm guitarist Paul Stanley
of Kiss (he also played the lead in Phantom of the Opera in Toronto yrs back due to his vocal strengths)
came from a family steeped in classical ... he seemed to love Beethoven.... i recall an interview
with him yrs ago in which he said he used to sing out loud to Beethoven's works.
I suspect many of our more famous and accomplished musicians--even the rockers--are well developed in their
musical history/exposure, regardless of their current gig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stanley

Early life[edit]

Stanley Bert Eisen was born January 20, 1952, in upper Manhattan near 211th Street and Broadway; the Inwood neighborhood nearInwood Hill Park. He was the second of two children, and born two years after his sister Julia. His mother came from a family that fled Nazi Germany to Amsterdam, Netherlands and then to New York City. His father's parents were from Poland. Stanley was raised Jewish, although he did not consider his family very observant and he was not bar mitzvahed.[1] His parents listened to classical music and light opera; Stanley was greatly moved by Beethoven's works. His right ear was misshapen from a birth defect calledmicrotia; he was unable to hear on that side, thus he found it difficult to determine the direction of a sound, and he could not understand speech in a noisy environment.[2] Attending PS 98, he was taunted by other children for his deformed ear.

Despite his hearing problem, Stanley enjoyed listening to music, and he watched American Bandstand on television. His favorite musical artists included Eddie CochranDion and the BelmontsJerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. Stanley learned to sing harmony with his family, and he was given a child's guitar at age seven.[3][4]

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #124 of 8,686

Try this composition, it's played on the classical guitar. I would categorize this as neoclassical, I think. Also, Musk Ox is Canadian, not Norwegian / Finnish :)

This whole album basically embodies everything I love about this weird genre, influenced by ambient / dark folk / neofolk / acoustic / classical genres, drawing inspiration from nature and the sounds therein.

But I digress. Accept my apologies. :)

Canadians are great, aren't they
wink.gif
You should check out Loscil if you haven't already.

Just checked him out, very nice ambience. I usually don't like too much electronic stuff, but I guess that's changing slowly. :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #125 of 8,686

Here you go.  This was recorded in Japan in 1979 on Sony.

Goldtuba, thank you very much for the link. I had heard of this performance over the years but had never tracked down a copy.
After one listen, I still slightly prefer 1959 just for Bernstein's mad dash too the finish line in the final movement. 
But this 1979 is a great recording in its own right and is probably a little closer to the sardonic humor Shostakovich intended.

I've also been re-listening to Bernstein's 1962 CBS/Sony Shostakovich 7 and doing so just confirms the greatness of the DG Chicago Symphony recording.
If the DG did not exist, the CBS/Sony would probably be fully satisfactory. But after imprinting on the DG recording, the CBS/Sony doesn't quite measure up in power and pacing, especially in the critical first movement.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #128 of 8,686
I do wonder if at one point Bugs Bunny was the most popular source for classical music for the general Western population. Time for a trip down memory lane.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vdJ7l39w2Q[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BX1ljYx3g3k[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bYM84n-2Sas[/VIDEO]

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #129 of 8,686
  Goldtuba, thank you very much for the link. I had heard of this performance over the years but had never tracked down a copy.
After one listen, I still slightly prefer 1959 just for Bernstein's mad dash too the finish line in the final movement. 
But this 1979 is a great recording in its own right and is probably a little closer to the sardonic humor Shostakovich intended.

I've also been re-listening to Bernstein's 1962 CBS/Sony Shostakovich 7 and doing so just confirms the greatness of the DG Chicago Symphony recording.
If the DG did not exist, the CBS/Sony would probably be fully satisfactory. But after imprinting on the DG recording, the CBS/Sony doesn't quite measure up in power and pacing, especially in the critical first movement.

Good performance but the SQ as with most youtube stuff, leaves a lot to be desired imo.
I listen mainly via large electrostatic speakers  at home  and compared to  my LPs and one 24/96  download of the same work this one is unfortunately  not that good.
The streaming videos  from the GSO are clearly better than anything I have seen/heard on Youtube.
But it is of course interesting to watch  Bernstein conduct.
I saw heard him live a few times at the Proms in London and especially remember a riveting performance of Berlioz´s Symphonie Fantastique and the msot seductive vitter sweet Valse Trise encore ever.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #131 of 8,686
I do wonder if at one point Bugs Bunny was the most popular source for classical music for the general Western population. Time for a trip down memory lane.  

Absolutely! "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit…"
biggrin.gif
- was Wagner ever so fun? Do they still do live concerts with the cartoons. Tried to get down and see the ESO when they did the concert, but the timing didn't work out

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #132 of 8,686

Absolutely! "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit…"
biggrin.gif
- was Wagner ever so fun? Do they still do live concerts with the cartoons. Tried to get down and see the ESO when they did the concert, but the timing didn't work out

The Nashville Symphony did soundtracks with Pixar last year when they showed cartoons on the big screen.  The family went but unfortunately I was out of country.  The grand kids were mesmerized. The Pixar cartoons are a little different than Bugs, but it's what is current.  Next w/e, they are going to see The Wizard of Oz performed the same way...

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #133 of 8,686

The Nashville Symphony did soundtracks with Pixar last year when they showed cartoons on the big screen.  The family went but unfortunately I was out of country.  The grand kids were mesmerized. The Pixar cartoons are a little different than Bugs, but it's what is current.  Next w/e, they are going to see The Wizard of Oz performed the same way...

This looks like it could be it.

@Mr Trev yes there really is a Banjo Concerto.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #134 of 8,686
  This looks like it could be it.

@Mr Trev yes there really is a Banjo Concerto.

From none other than Mr. Fleck. Edgar Meyer has some good double bass work in the classical vein. And there's my current favourite, Oystein Baadsvik with his tuba concertos - I kinda of like the more unconvential side of classics

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #135 of 8,686

Good performance but the SQ as with most youtube stuff, leaves a lot to be desired imo.
I listen mainly via large electrostatic speakers  at home  and compared to  my LPs and one 24/96  download of the same work this one is unfortunately  not that good.
The streaming videos  from the GSO are clearly better than anything I have seen/heard on Youtube.
But it is of course interesting to watch  Bernstein conduct.
I saw heard him live a few times at the Proms in London and especially remember a riveting performance of Berlioz´s Symphonie Fantastique and the msot seductive vitter sweet Valse Trise encore ever.

Agreed - even on medium-fi headphones (Phillips X2 yesterday), the sound quality of the youtube can't hold a candle to my Sony CDs of the 5th and 7th symphonies that I also listened to, let alone a high-res download. 

I wish I had been able to hear Bernstein perform in person. We were only in the same city once or twice during his performing career, and tickets sold out before I could grab one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back