Popular Classical Music
May 31, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #61 of 8,694
  I like the pieces that tickle the hairs in the cochlea or pull those heart strings.

The Kyrie from Beethoven's Misa Solemnis is an absolutely stunning, hair-raising, and goosebump producing work. It is orchestral, choral, and peppered with some amazing solo vocals. I've enjoyed the good fortune to attend two live performances of the entire mass. There was not a dry eye in the house.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 31, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #62 of 8,694
  The Kyrie from Beethoven's Misa Solemnis is an absolutely stunning, hair-raising, and goosebump producing work. It is orchestral, choral, and peppered with some amazing solo vocals. I've enjoyed the good fortune to attend two live performances of the entire mass. There was not a dry eye in the house.

I must check it out on YT.

I have heard a load of stuff over the years but have a memory like a sieve when it comes to names.

I agree, there is something very special and unique about live performances that can never really be recreated in recordings even on the best systems.

May 31, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #63 of 8,694
Listening to this one at the moment - sorry Relic!
wink.gif
Perhaps get yourself some new gear that is less revealing.
angry_face.gif

Another Decent version of this.

May 31, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #64 of 8,694
Here ya go Light - Man, another opera.

:wink_face:

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MR6D7tL38U[/VIDEO]

Edit: Your opera post was lovely my friend.

May 31, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #65 of 8,694
That brings up a good point, what about movie soundtracks? Certainly some scores are amazing pieces of work, one of my favourite genres.

May 31, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #66 of 8,694
That brings up a good point, what about movie soundtracks? Certainly some scores are amazing pieces of work, one of my favourite genres.

Yes Relic, good stuff, I never saw that movie but now I will check it out.

As far as I am concerned anything goes, it seems that few people are prepared to participate in music threads on HF.

Another thread that I started about 10 months ago has had over 21,000 views but I would guess only about 15 people have ever posted on it.

Everyone is welcome and to me it is just a bit of music and banter!

a-bit-of-music-and-a-bit-of-fun

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775356/a-bit-of-music-and-a-bit-of-fun/2445

May 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #68 of 8,694
  I always forget bout your other thread…

Opera… Sopranos are kind of like an ice pick between the eyes for me

@x RELIC x Orchestral soundtracks are epic, bring em on.

Technically not classical, but still awesome
biggrin.gif

Technically speaking I should not be allowed to start a Classical thread on HF.
angry_face.gif

I reckon I would be better suited to coaching Ladies beach volleyball.
blink.gif

At the moment we are having a bit of a heatwave (by our standards).

I have just been down to the beach and guess what I came across?

OOps!!! the wrong one................................................................................................................it was more like this.

May 31, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #69 of 8,694

Me too - Hans Zimmer, Philip Glass, and of course Ennio Morricone.

I bought a lot of Hans Zimmer, and have been disappointed with the SQ from CD - every time I buy a soundtrack CD generally it sounds bad - I suspect its recorded at 48k for video, and then poor SRC is used to get it to 44.1k. But I have The Dark Knight rises (deluxe) 24 bit 192k and it is superb - its becoming one of my test tracks now.  Inception (24 48K) is very good, and so is the CD of Interstellar.

Rob

May 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #70 of 8,694

I bought a lot of Hans Zimmer, and have been disappointed with the SQ from CD - every time I buy a soundtrack CD generally it sounds bad - I suspect its recorded at 48k for video, and then poor SRC is used to get it to 44.1k. But I have The Dark Knight rises (deluxe) 24 bit 192k and it is superb - its becoming one of my test tracks now.  Inception (24 48K) is very good, and so is the CD of Interstellar.

Rob

Yup, nailed it Rob. Love Hans Zimmer. I've been seeking out some Vangellis lately. A bit electronic on average but brilliant regardless.

May 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #71 of 8,694

Rob

Hello All,
This is exactly my concern.  I would like to acquire some classical CD's (not so interested in soundtracks) but I am not sure about how to tell what's well-recorded, and what's not.  There are a few recommendations on the "What are you listening to right now" thread, but not many related to classical recordings.  Can you folks offer some help?  I would appreciate it!

All the best -
RCB

May 31, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #73 of 8,694
  Aren't all classical performances well recorded (at least compared to the overly compressed stuff in the mainstream world)?

From what I've read across Head-Fi, some are recorded much better than others.  That's of course what I am looking for :).

May 31, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #74 of 8,694
  Hello All,
This is exactly my concern.  I would like to acquire some classical CD's (not so interested in soundtracks) but I am not sure about how to tell what's well-recorded, and what's not.  There are a few recommendations on the "What are you listening to right now" thread, but not many related to classical recordings.  Can you folks offer some help?  I would appreciate it!

All the best -
RCB

This advice is dated - but may well still apply assuming equal remastering.  I would rank most the early CD releases from major labels in this order:
London/Decca
RCA and Philips as a tie
CBS/Columbia
DG
Angel/Capitol

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 31, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #75 of 8,694

I just spent the past hour listening to this, looks like I would be adding this one to my collection.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back