Popular Classical Music
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #4,938 of 8,686
Franck - Le chasseur maudit (The Accursed Hunter)

Eiji Oue / Minnesota Orchestra

It was inspired by the ballad Der wilde Jäger (The Wild Hunter) by the German poet Gottfried August Bürger. It tells the story of a Count of the Rhine who dares to go hunting on a Sunday morning, in violation of the Sabbath. As the piece begins, the count defiantly sounds his hunting horn, despite the warnings of the church bells and sacred chants which call the faithful to worship. Deep in the woods, the count is cursed by a terrible voice which condemns him to be pursued by demons for eternity.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #4,940 of 8,686
Beethoven concert in Berlin

Here highlights and interviews of Mutter and Barenboim

And here the whole concert
Beethoven
Egmont Overture
Romance for Violin and Orquestra num 1
Romance for Violin and Orquestra num 2
Symphony num 9

Staatskapelle Berlin
Anne Sophie Mutter
Daniel Barenboim

A "Like", because I want them all to be able to perform with an audience present again.
And both Mutter and Barenboim are great artists.
But each individual chorister with a mic attached, in Beethoven's 9th is not the way I ideally want to hear this, or any other classical symphony live or recorded.
Some of the 2020 Salzburg Festival concerts had an audience in Grosses Festspielhaus and I really hope we'll get back to normal again ,asap.
Classical music amplified like this ,is definitely not my cup of tea, other than amplified via my own headphone or speaker amps.
The most disappointing concert I have ever attended was the Wiener Philharmoniker amplified in a huge Sports arena in Gothenburg Sweden, many many years ago.
They managed to squeeze in 4 to 6 K pax in the audience but the VPO sounded terrible amplifed.

Cheers CC

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,941 of 8,686
Eiji Oue directed Holst The planets recently in Madrid and did a wonderful job
Here Jupiter with the Osaka PO

I have also only seen him conduct once in Singapore doing the Planets quite impressively with the SSO.
He has recorded some orchestral spectaculars for Reference Recordings.
I have a cd with him conducting Bernstein's Candide overture and other "light" works by him.
Cheers CC

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #4,947 of 8,686
Today's best cheering up video imho.
Apparently very recent and with an audience to.Orchestre de Paris, Marin Alsop, Khatia Buniatishvili 1 - YouTube

Kathia est formidable!

Her dynamic range and technique is amazing, and ( I do not have a real musical education) she reminds me of the passion of Leonard Bernstein the pianist, who was not technically as good but equally passionate in this marvelous record
https://www.discogs.com/es/Bernstei...onic-Piano-Concerto-No-1-In-C/release/8997963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back