Popular Classical Music
Jul 20, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #3,170 of 8,686

That put me in mind of this fun documentary about piano tuning - Pianomania - that came out some years ago.

Rachmaninov - Prelude Op. 23 No. 2 in B-Flat Major

Alexis Weissenberg

wow, this must be one of those "once you hear it this way, you can't unhear it" type of recordings

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #3,179 of 8,686
A cracking version of a rhapsody in Bohemia!

Coincidentally the first 2 nights of the BBC Proms have also had a Bohemian theme.
The first night conducted by the young female conductor Carina Kannelakis, had a very good performance of Janaceck's Glagolitic Mass and Dvorak's symphonic Poem the Golden Spinning Wheel.
And the second concert last night had Joshua Bell performing Dvorak's Violin concerto and also Smetana's Bohemian Rhapsody, Ma Vlast.
From these first two concerts two works stood out as well worth repeated listening, and they were Janaceck's Mass and a new work by Canadian composer Zhosha de Castri called Long is the Journey- Short is the Memory.

I have replayed both Janacek's Mass and Long is the Journey... already three times.Very contemporary and fresh and full of magical deep bassy sonorities that made Dvorak's Spinning Wheel sound a bit plain and simple in comparison.
Not Dvorak's most inspired piece imho.
This said as a reminder to those who may have missed it, the BBC Proms are broadcast worldwide on a daily basis for 8 more weeks since 19/7!
And can be streamed at the BBC Radio Three site for about a week after the live concert normally broadcast live at 1930 GMT.
Also interesting , compared to some videos posted here on this thread,where SQ varies quite a bit and often leaves a lot to be desired, BCC Radio Three broadcast sound quality via HMS/Qutest and my HEKV2 was surprisingly good.
For over thirty years I used to be a very regular Prommer, commuting from either Brighton or Hastings or while staying in London for a while. In recent years my visits to the Royal Albert hall are not as regular any longer.
But I listen to almost every Prom on BBC Radio Three online.
Don't miss the Proms!
Imho, the World's Greatest Musical Festival.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back