Popular Classical Music
May 21, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 8,693

Xiao Bai Yong - Erhu Master - considered National Treasure of China

And another good one that makes me feel like I am instantaneously transported to the other side of the Globe without the jet lag!

May 21, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 8,693
I really like Mahler.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1RDalpXuA[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwRPYijLygA[/VIDEO]

May 22, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #19 of 8,693
Great! Keep em coming
smily_headphones1.gif
This will whet my appetite for the Space Spectacular I'm seeing on Saturday at the Royal Albert Hall. There's already too much to listen to in a day here. Will put one of my favourite's on as soon as I get the chance  

May 22, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #20 of 8,693
My all-time favorite classical track is "Clair de lune" ---- it's the third movement in Suite bergamasque, which was composed by the mighty Claude Debussy. Clair de lune is French for moonlight, FYI.

(I just tried to sound like an aficionado there, but I'm a total poser...I had to Google all of that)

Anyway, I've found it to be one of those truly powerful songs that can elicit an emotional response in right setting! (e.g. decent chills, especially towards the last part of the song when it changes/climaxes/whatever you call it)

Usually you'll find it in PIANO FORMAT, which is how it was composed.

I think it's personally awesome to hear WITH STRINGS (I've purchased a few versions of it this way).

Just looking around now, I found this crazy EXTENDED VERSION that's nearly an hour long.

So how did I discover it? Easy -- the excellent use of it at the end of OCEAN'S ELEVEN when everything comes together, Tess breaks free and the group is standing silently around the fountains of the Bellagio enjoying their success.

May 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #21 of 8,693
  The idea behind this thread is to get some varied Classical music going and to share your knowledge and appreciation

with others, no matter what your level of knowledge may be.

Hopefully it may encourage others to develop a taste for Classical music.

Hoping for good quality audio-visual recordings from YouTube and Vimeo, etc. but any type of music link is fine.

No rules, just anything related to Classical music including vocals, a bit of banter is also welcome as music threads can tend to be a little sterile.

BTW, my knowledge of Classical music is very basic but I have been to concerts on a regular basis for several years

and I reckon I have developed an ear for the good stuff but I may be wrong?!
wink.gif

Very good idea.
Apart from the obvious You tube videos there are also some free concerts from the Swedish GSO, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra on their site GSO play, in good very naturally mic'd sound.
If you want to know how good old Decca tree miking sounds in good but not SOTA  streaming SQ look and listen to some of their free concerts. The latest two being Mahler's 2nd symphony and Stravinsky's Petrushka suite. And there are many more  on GSO play.

May 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #22 of 8,693
I'd say that Dvořák's Symphony No.9 is one of those essential listens for people wanting to get into classical.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqyfEyNXQo[/VIDEO]

Also not everything in this thread will technically be classed classical music (There's Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th and 21st century - the above symphony would be classed as Romantic) although it all does tend to get lumped together under the classical moniker. Here's a wikipedia article that'll give you a list of composers and the era they belonged to - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era.

May 22, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #23 of 8,693
If you want to improve the depth of your library I can recommend somethings I purchased recently:

The Decca Sound - 50 CD's

Leonard Bernstein Collection Vol 1 (59 CD's +1 DVD)

Leonard Bernstein Collection Vol 2 (64 CD's)

The Leonard Bernstein covers all his DG recordings. When I was into vinyl, I used to avoid DG, but these recordings on Mojo and Dave sound wonderful.

These recordings span the 1940's to 1990's, and if occasionally let down by dated recording are balanced by exceptional musicality. All sound good, some superb.

Rob

May 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 8,693
If you want to improve the depth of your library I can recommend somethings I purchased recently:

The Leonard Bernstein covers all his DG recordings. When I was into vinyl, I used to avoid DG, but these recordings on Mojo and Dave sound wonderful.

These recordings span the 1940's to 1990's, and if occasionally let down by dated recording are balanced by exceptional musicality. All sound good, some superb.

Rob

Any particular reason? I always considered DG to be pretty much a benchmark with regards to the recordings of the time, also back in the vinyl days.

May 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #25 of 8,693
I maybe had a bad particular recording, but I just had this impression of DG sounding bright and lean. But these are nothing like that, so I guess my impression was wrong, or just a vinyl EQ issue.

Rob

May 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #26 of 8,693
If we're talking about 1977 to around 1987 then there was an awful lot of bad vinyl around, and it affected mostly everybody in the recording industry. First off the oil crisis of the 70's meant that vinyl was being produced pretty damned thin, meaning the mastering engineers had to make compromises to ensure that the record would actually track properly, and then later in the 80's it seemed that a lot of vinyl was mastered treble heavy anyway. I don't really know the reason for that, but I guess the new kid on the block, CD, had something to do with it.

May 22, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 8,693

One of my favourite pieces, never tire of listening to this (I also have versions played on guitar which I enjoy listening to.)

May 23, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #28 of 8,693

Rob

Nice of you to share Rob. I ordered the Decca Sound - 50 CD's today. I'll find out in a couple weeks how they are.

Perhaps I'll get the Leonard Bernstein Collection Vol. 1/2 when a certain other piece of hardware arrives... :wink_face:

May 23, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #29 of 8,693
Thanks Guys for chipping in.

@Takeanidea I have never been to the Royal Albert Hall in London, even though I lived in London for several years but I did pass by it on a red bus on my way to work on many occasions.
biggrin.gif

I would reckon it is a great experience, do let us know how it goes and what pieces stand out for you.

@brent75 Yes agreed, Clair Du Lune is a little gem, I only came across it about 3 years ago when it was played as an encore at a concert in the NCH Dublin (National Concert Hall).

The pianists son (both Irish) and the sons wife (Canadian - I think) had come back from Canada (or somewhere far) especially for the concert and her name was Claire, all totally random information but it is funny how certain things can stick in your mind.
angry_face.gif

@Rob Watts When you get a chance, do post some of your favorites and any little gems that you have come across.

An interesting and cute video, worth watching carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back