Popping noises from Dac when changing songs in Vista
Oct 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheManko

100+ Head-Fier
So when I change track in Foobar with my Prelude I get a pop and click noise from my dac like it's turning on and off every time I switch songs in Vista. I'm dualbooting, so I can verify that this does not happen in Xp. If I start Windows Media Player I get a similar popping noise, but only when I turn the app on and off like it's turning off the digital stream when you shut down the program or something.

Is there some way to "force" a constant digital audio stream to the dac or is there some issue in Vista I'm missing that's causing this?

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 12
As far as I can tell PC Beep is turned off. It's one of those things I always disable in BIOS right away and sure enough it doesn't appear to exist in Vista at all.

I don't get any pops at all if I listen to a song and let it run to the end, because I guess Foobar buffers the next one on the list before going over to it. It's only when I manually change songs that I get a loud pop and click from the Dac (and speakers).

Since I don't get this issue at all in Xp I'm guessing the digital output works differently in the Vista drivers or something.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Wish I could give you a good answer, but I can tell you that I've had no issues with Vista, Foobar and two different USB DACs. Can you try a different DAC? May be some kind of compatibility thing going on. I certainly won't suggest that Vista can't be fickle.

On thing to check. In Audio Device menu, I have all individual sounds turned off. If you have any or all of the specific sounds enabled it may be leading to your beeps.

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 12
used to happen to me at different times when i was in windows.. dunno how / why it happened nor how i fixed it as it was quite intermittent.

oh.. try a reinstall
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm using my Auzentech Prelude Coaxial output to a Heed Dactilus dac, so I'm guessing that it's a resampling issue or something. Because if I for example use Windows Media Player instead of Foobar I only get a pop when I start and shut down WMP and never when changing songs, unlike Foobar where it doesn't pop when I start the program, only when I start and stop songs.

My guess it's either something with the resampling or the soundcard drivers are shutting off the digital audio stream itself when no song is playing. If I use sounds in Vista for example I get horrible clicks when a sound starts and stops because the sounds are so short.

EDIT: Now that I think about it it's probably shutting off the stream, becuase in Xp I don't get any noises at all from the dac when I use ASIO and change between songs with 44100khz and 48000khz.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 12
I started getting the ZERO poping sound also when data was transfered from computer to ZERO before no data was sent. I started getting this pop with WASAPI plugin in Foobar2000.

Probably since I'm no longer using the Klite audio settings of Windows, i dunno...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back