Popping Coming From Amplifier
Jan 3, 2003 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gpalmer

We are the weird ones.
I just received my new SuperMini amplifier from Fixup and it sounds great. One thing I am noticing though is that very half hour or 45 minutes, there is a quick double poppong noise coming out of the system. When I rewind the CD the noise is not repeated and I have listened to the CDs many times on the same system without hearing this noise. (The amp is the only new piece).

The reason I'm posting though is that my home system with no components in common does the same thing (though over a longer interval) and makes the same noise. The noise is a quick double pop sound. I had always assumed it was crud coming in on the power line up until now, but since I have heard it on two systems I thought someone might know what the cause was. Anyone know?

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 10
It sounds like the amp is losing power and then powering back on or losing a connection and then remaking it. It could be a cold solder joint but I'd be more willing to bet it's the power supply--possibly overheating.

Jan 3, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
It sounds like the amp is losing power and then powering back on or losing a connection and then remaking it. It could be a cold solder joint but I'd be more willing to bet it's the power supply--possibly overheating.

If the same interference is occurring in 2 "different" systems then I very much doubt it's caused by dry joints or overheating PSU's.

Sounds like mains born interference which needs suppressed at source (ie: Fridge) the time interval between "pops" suggests it's his fridge.

Pinkie

"expert on fridges"

Jan 3, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Oops, I forgot one important point. The popping with my home system is happpening at my home while the popping with the SuperMini is happening at work so it probably isn't just one device causing the problem.

Jan 3, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 10
I just got off the phone with my amp manufacturer (Sunfire) and I am going to disconnect the inputs and confirm 100% that it is the amplifier and then send it back for service. (It isn't turning itself off, so it has to go back anyways).

Thanks,
Greg

Jan 3, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
If the same interference is occurring in 2 "different" systems then I very much doubt it's caused by dry joints or overheating PSU's.

Sounds like mains born interference which needs suppressed at source (ie: Fridge) the time interval between "pops" suggests it's his fridge.

Pinkie

"expert on fridges"

I don't think either of us read that initial post well enough.

If it's happening in two completely different locations with two completely different systems, then maybe there are just coincidentally two problems happening at once.
smily_headphones1.gif

gpalmer, would you mind explicitly stating your entire system for both rigs so that we can get a better view of this problem?

Jan 4, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Sure Kelly,

Home System

Front End -> ModWright modified Pioneer 38A CD/DVD Video/Audio player.
Analog Interconnects -> AZ Silver Reference
Digital Interconnect -> AZ MC2=Zen
Preamp -> Sunfire Theater Grand III
Interconnects -> AZ Silver Reference interconnects
Amp -> Sunfire Cinema Grand
cables -> Analysis-Plus Oval 9s
Speakers -> Legacy Classics

Mobile System
Player -> Panasonic DVD-LA95 CD/DVD/DVD Audio player
Connector -> Fixup cord from line out to SuperMini
Amp -> SuperMini v3
Headphones -> Ety 4s

Jan 4, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 10
I sent Fixup an e-mail and he mentioned that the popping might be from my cell phone (apparently he's experienced it with the SuperMini and AT&T cell phones which is what mine is). Seems reasonable in the case of my cell phone since it is located about a foot and half away from the SuperMini. I'm not sure that would be true in the case of my home amplifier though, since I heard the popping before I got the cell. I have paid attention a couple of times with my home system and nothing seemed to be kicking in, but since I live in a condo, it might have been one of my neighbors (who got something new around the time the popping started).

Greg

Jan 4, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Looks like Fixup is right, at least about the SuperMini. I turned off my cell phone about three hours ago and haven't heard a pop since. D'Oh! damn electronic leash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back