Pop-Punk, Electronic, Indie, Acoustic Headphones
May 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hth715

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi, first post. 

I am in the market for a really nice set of cans and while I have been doing as much research as possible I am still unsure as to what kind of headphones to get. I listen to mostly pop-punk, post-punk, electronica/dubstep, indie, and some acoustic stuff. I know its a hard range and if anything, I'd like the pop/post-punk to sound the best. 

From what I've read I think I'd like open cans(?) and have looked at HD598, AH-D1100, ATH AD-900, K 701HD (Used ~$250), and the K 702HD.

Headphones will most likely be running from an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Price range is ~250.

Thanks a lot guys!

May 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 5
From what i read you also listen to dubstep and electronica. How important is bass for you? Open back headphones bass is weak. 

May 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Your genres are fairly broad and finding one headphone that does them all well at the price point, is difficult.  All headphones are a compromise, albeit the differences are not always huge.  For the genres you seek to satisfy and the fact that you are probably best with a fairly efficient fon, I would suggest the following:

Ad900, A900, HD558/598, ESW9, DT250, DT770 pro, Ultrasone DJ1/DJpro, HFI 680, HFI2400

There are a few different flavours in my list (right hand side bassier than the left), and that is the part that no one can answer unless you list headphones that you have heard and liked/disliked and can tell us why. Good luck with your search.

May 7, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
From what i read you also listen to dubstep and electronica. How important is bass for you? Open back headphones bass is weak. 

I dont want face shaking bass, but I do want to experience the full range from a drum kit. Granted, its a wide range of music but I dont want to hinder vocal clarity by having a deep bass either. I figured I'd have to compromise certain genre's of music to experience good pop-punk sound, but I'm alright with that.

Quote:
Your genres are fairly broad and finding one headphone that does them all well at the price point, is difficult.  All headphones are a compromise, albeit the differences are not always huge.  For the genres you seek to satisfy and the fact that you are probably best with a fairly efficient fon, I would suggest the following:

Ad900, A900, HD558/598, ESW9, DT250, DT770 pro, Ultrasone DJ1/DJpro, HFI 680, HFI2400

There are a few different flavours in my list (right hand side bassier than the left), and that is the part that no one can answer unless you list headphones that you have heard and liked/disliked and can tell us why. Good luck with your search.

Should I try to find something in the middle of what you listed as a compromise to serve all the genres I listed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back