Pop-folk / Chalga & Other Balkan Music
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #19 of 566
Haven't looked at the Greek music situation in awhile, so I'm not quite up to speed on it. Looks like the Panik Records, and Heaven Music labels are pretty much dominating the Greek pop charts. I think there are some pretty good artists on the Spicy and Cobalt Music labels as well.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 566
A little Malu (or Malou, either works). This sounds pretty Greek to me. Greek up-tempo/dance tracks are often densely mixed like this. Or at least they were the last time I listened.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 566
Some asymmetric chalga by Mira (the Bulgarian one) & Ferdi Sanli.

Asymmetric rhythms are commonplace in Bulgarian folk music. They're somewhat rarer, but also not unusual in chalga. Mira often uses them on her recent tracks. And Adriana has also used them at times. So how do you count it?...

Excellent question. I'm so glad you asked. :) The answer is with some difficulty, if you have no experience with Bulgarian or Balkan folk tunes. This track has 9 beats per measure. It's "asymmetric" because it can't be easily divided into two equal phrases. There are various ways of breaking it down though.

The strongest accents are on beats 1 and 5. So you could treat it as 4+5, or (2+2)+(2+3), or possibly 4+2+3. Another method is to use "quick" and "slow" beats, with the quick being 2/16, and the slow 3/16. This would be counted 2+2+2+3, or quick-quick-quick-slow. The slapping percussion in the right channel follows this quick/slow pattern. The placement of the slow beat at the end is somewhat arbitrary btw.

Asymmetric rhythms can be a little tough at first, but alot of fun once you start to get the hang of em. The Balkan ladies definitely enjoy em. So when in doubt, just fake it. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back