Poor man's speaker rebox design
May 26, 2007 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
I found some old speakers in the basement, hooked them up to my T amp (for the time being running off batteries, waiting for power adapter from ebay). They didnt sound half bad, and theyre free
biggrin.gif

BUT, the box has got to go... Local store has "hobby plates" as theyre called, wooden plates I use for everything. I was thinking of making a new box tohold both speakers in one, that goes at the bottom of my diy table (im short on space so have to use what i have).
Below is the table, then speaker, then a ms paint sketch of what i want to make, that is going in the free space on the table. Is there anything about the design that is gonna cost me the little audio quality i have?

rebox1.jpg

rebox2.jpg

rebox3.jpg

EDIT:

after talking to dfkt, i came up with two other possible designs (a bit off scale as the two boxes take up allmost all the width but still):

design2.jpg

May 27, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you make 2 small 2 way rear ported bookshelf speaker instead of those angled ones

what size is the driver and the tweet i will calc rough dimension and port size

gotta fit under the table on the pic, only place there's room. and they are too big to fit on top.
driver is 21 CM diameter, other is 5 cm diameter ^^

May 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 12
changed to a sealed box design this enclosure is going to be boomy .stuff it real good. the ported design was to big

prismboxoq5.jpg

prismpartsfd1.jpg

also have some reservations about the ability of a t-amp to drive a < 4 ohm load

May 27, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

changed to a sealed box design this enclosure is going to be boomy .stuff it real good. the ported design was to big

prismboxoq5.jpg

prismpartsfd1.jpg

also have some reservations about the ability of a t-amp to drive a < 4 ohm load

Well, my untrained ears didnt complain about it, so well see
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, thank you so very much for this, it help sme a lot
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 12
bah
of course, that design was way to big for the speakers.
got pissed and just made some boxes, if i really listen to music i use ehadphones anyways.
BUT dfkt said something about x-over circuit to feed right freqs to right speaker (as you see, old tweeters are gone, im getting some better ones to replace the ones on top too). Where can i get x-over? ebay had 0 hits on "x-over circuit" and "crossover circuit"
Oh, and i know that the design might cause loss of quality and blahblah, but its all about what i actually have room for more than what sounds best
weeeee.jpg

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

for a cross over
partsexpress or make your own
what about the cross over that was in the old speaker?

only thing in there other than the driver and tweeter was a 47muf (or so) capacitor on one of the wires between tweeter and driver... nothing to get the higher freqs away from the driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back