PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 15, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #4,831 of 4,858
I’m new enough in trying the flactag script, but it seems to generate an error message if you try to use its ‘HiRes Tag’ button on a file that is not hi res. I am still learning it, so I may be wrong, but the readme file also suggests that it can turn the light red, yellow, or green under certain circumstances. I’ve not been able to make the light anything other than blue myself.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #4,832 of 4,858
I've never seen any color but blue myself.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,833 of 4,858
Fwiw, regarding Amazon Music HD:

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-music-hd-launches-to-compete-with-tidal/

Musician Neil Young launched the ill-fated hi-res Pono player several years ago, but he is excited (probably a little too excited tbh) that Amazon is embracing lossless audio.

"Earth will be changed forever when Amazon introduces high quality streaming to the masses," Young said in a statement. "This will be the biggest thing to happen in music since the introduction of digital audio 40 years ago."

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4,834 of 4,858
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4,835 of 4,858
In retrospect, I wish I had bought one of these.
It's reliability is time-tested, as attested to in this thread :)
It sounds like after all these years all they need is a battery, and they're still good to go.

They're definitely not this!

Too bad there's not a current model, maybe he could hook up with Tidal or Qobuz...
edit: need to check out that interview above, thanks.

I just picked up his book about it, that'll have to do for now.
First hardcover I've purchased in a long time.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #4,836 of 4,858
In retrospect, I wish I had bought one of these.
It's reliability is time-tested, as attested to in this thread :)
It sounds like after all these years all they need is a battery, and they're still good to go.

They're definitely not this!

Too bad there's not a current model, maybe he could hook up with Tidal or Qobuz...
edit: need to check out that interview above, thanks.

I just picked up his book about it, that'll have to do for now.
First hardcover I've purchased in a long time.

I just picked the Pono 2 up today?

6FAE8506-A209-4070-BAA3-4D7259D6A101.jpeg

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #4,837 of 4,858
I’m new enough in trying the flactag script, but it seems to generate an error message if you try to use its ‘HiRes Tag’ button on a file that is not hi res. I am still learning it, so I may be wrong, but the readme file also suggests that it can turn the light red, yellow, or green under certain circumstances. I’ve not been able to make the light anything other than blue myself.

A blue LED can only light up as blue. It is only switched on and off by software.

May 3, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #4,838 of 4,858
So, I've been using these since they were first sent to backers, still haven't figured out the tagging. Ripped CD's are no problem, but often, with downloaded music, the tagging (particularly the performer) is lost. I've tried using JRiver to fix the tagging, but that seems to only fix it IN JRiver, not in the Pono. Any suggestions?

May 3, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,839 of 4,858
So, I've been using these since they were first sent to backers, still haven't figured out the tagging. Ripped CD's are no problem, but often, with downloaded music, the tagging (particularly the performer) is lost. I've tried using JRiver to fix the tagging, but that seems to only fix it IN JRiver, not in the Pono. Any suggestions?

Doesn’t the Pono desktop app have built in tagging software? Otherwise, I’d try a different application since there are many such applications available as open source. I use Kid 3 for my Mac with excellent results.

May 3, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #4,840 of 4,858
I got this when I decided to re-rip all my CDs.
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/
It has album art, tagging, cd ripping, etc., and is pretty fast.

May 4, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4,841 of 4,858
Haven't used the Pono app in ages (I think it expired at one point). It was really a stripped down JRiver anyway. I tried downloading Kid3, for some reason didn't want to install. dbpoweramp is a paid app (have been using the trial for ripping, OK, not much different). The tagging program is an add on-together, it's about 90 bucks. Maybe I'll spring for it, but green holding out.

May 6, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,843 of 4,858
I bought dbpoweramp, I'll give it a try with the Pono connected. mp3tag is also for purchase, I'll purchase one at a time. Thanks, though.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #4,844 of 4,858
It seems for many of us the Pono has been gently placed back from whence it came. A lovely little bamboo nest. Then carefully tucked in a place known... really only to us. We enjoyed our time with it's fair sides. How could we not given it had three? No matter. It's magical sound was all we wanted ....and needed. That sound, still so sweet today. Thank you, Mr. Young.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #4,845 of 4,858
Just found this thread. I’ve had three Pono’s and a replacement board. Two went to friends and one signed by several Prog stars on Cruises to the Edge sits in it’s bamboo box. Still works and sounds lovely. Prog On!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back