PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,727 of 4,858
  Has anyone yet heard the Pono through a balanced pair of headphones. I just ordered a pair myself and would be interested to hear any thoughts.

Well it's a step up with the Sennheiser HD-650.  Look at FastAndBulbous's postings for his experience running HD 600s.
For me, there's more precision, better articulation, and more power.

Which headphones will you use?

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,728 of 4,858
Howdy- I just bought a Pono player and I want to upgrade my headphones to the Sennheiser HD-25-1's   is it worth it to buy a balanced cable for the Senn. Hd-25-1's to use with the Pono? I want to go with the HD-25's because I need a good sounding headphone for portable use and get the best sound quality available. 
Thanks much for any help. 
Robert 

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,729 of 4,858
I seem to recall Pono were going to suggest headphones that would sound great plugged directly into the device.
Have they done that yet?

I also thought I read they are now building their own Pono headphone.

I hope they can make an affordable one OR recommend something affordable.

Any news on this front?

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,730 of 4,858
  I seem to recall Pono where going to suggest headphones that would sound great plugged directly into the device.
Have they done that yet?

Any news on this front?

If you can find power@impedance values for the Pono (I didn't find anything on a quick search), then you can combine them with headphone specs with the excel file here:
http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html
to see if the Pono has the juice.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,731 of 4,858
  I seem to recall Pono where going to suggest headphones that would sound great plugged directly into the device.
Have they done that yet?

Any news on this front?

Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity, just the other day, let slip on Scott Wilkinson's TWiT.TV show that Cardas would be supplying the Pono headphone and accessories.  I'm pretty sure that hasn't been officially announced yet.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,732 of 4,858

Well it's a step up with the Sennheiser HD-650.  Look at FastAndBulbous's postings for his experience running HD 600s.
For me, there's more precision, better articulation, and more power.

Which headphones will you use?

For balanced I have had moon audio make me a balanced lead to use with my Shure se425 iem's . The lead will be there black dragon cable.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,733 of 4,858
  Howdy- I just bought a Pono player and I want to upgrade my headphones to the Sennheiser HD-25-1's   is it worth it to buy a balanced cable for the Senn. Hd-25-1's to use with the Pono? I want to go with the HD-25's because I need a good sounding headphone for portable use and get the best sound quality available. 
Thanks much for any help. 
Robert 

I'm not sure.  I would definitely spend a few weeks with it in single ended mode before going the extra
mile for balanced.  Hope someone else with experience can respond.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,734 of 4,858
Hi I'd just like to report that I finally got my Pono, and after a few days of listening I can say that it sounds terrific, probably the best sounding DAP I've ever had..

It sounds very nice with my AKG Q701's, although I need to drive them with my Fiio E12 Mont Blanc HOWEVER the sound quality it produces with
my cheap Sennheiser MX460 buds is INCREDIBLE, they have never sounded so good, clean and delivered with such an incredible soundstage!

Also tried the Pono in my car via Aux input and it sounded remarkable, way clearer, present and 'natural' than the CD player and the USB player, in fact
I didn't need any of the inbuilt EQ presets the Pono just sounded superb!

Very happy here!

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,736 of 4,858
  Interesting that there are almost no Fiio or Ibasso comparisons as they are close to the price range and are also usually rated much better than iPods...

I'm guessing that those that own or use those DAP's don't have an interest in purchasing PONO.  I'm guessing PONO hasn't issued any demo units to Head-Fi reviewers for comparison.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,737 of 4,858

I'm guessing that those that own or use those DAP's don't have an interest in purchasing PONO.  I'm guessing PONO hasn't issued any demo units to Head-Fi reviewers for comparison.

Agree, if you already have a premium DAP, you might not be motivated to back a kickstarter where the reward is another
premium DAP.  

Earlier in the thread, SkyLab said he received his Pono player, but the battery didn't charge properly.  I think he intends to
review -- when he gets a properly working product.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,738 of 4,858
Good point 
tongue.gif
 although there are a good amount of people that have almost as many DAPs as they have headphones!

Ever since I started cruising around the sound science forum when I was trying to figure out the differences and benefits of FLAC vs mp3 (I came to a conclusion that V0 vbr is the most I'll ever need), and reading up on http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded , logic won't allow me to ever consider the whole 24/192 thing. The masterings themselves might sound better (different?) on some albums though.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,739 of 4,858
Tha 24/192 version of Deja Vu is the best mastered version I've ever heard, through Pono or my main system.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #1,740 of 4,858
Finally got my Pono and started playing around. Nice device. Sounds pretty good. I'll have a firmer opinion soon.
Question: I got the Patti Smith limited edition version and found the micro SD with the music on it. Unfortunately that disk is not readable on my mac either through the Pono Player or in a card reader, both in pono program and finder. Mac says it want to initialize, which doesn't sound like a good idea. Does anybody know what format that card is? Is there a way to use that space for more music? Or just back it up?
TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back