1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by currawong, Sep 28, 2012.
First

Back
306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315
317 318 319 320 321 322 323
Next

Last
  1. maira
    Great, ill try that. Thanks!

2. jdog
    I don't know if people are still interested in buying the Pono player or not, but for today only (5/19/18), Fry's Electronics Stores are offering the black version for $129.90. You will need to apply for a promo code and order online, but it certainly is a big price drop if you're interested. Here is a link: https://images.frys.com/art/email/051918_sat147yhn/sat_web.html?

3. oneway23
    Thanks, jdog. Just went to score a backup, and, it looks like they may be out already. Shipping unavailable, in-store pickup unavailable, and the cart unfortunately won't allow me to enter the promo code, either.

4. barondla
    Bought two friday and couldn't get promo code to enter. The Fry's gift card section below had info auto filled. Once that was cleared out the promo code worked.

Not sure but local delivery may be their deliver the same day jargon. They may still have normal shipping available. Their inventory shows nearest store, not complete chain. Try changing your preferred store.

5. oneway23
    Hmm, I really don't know. Promo code is grayed-out, checkout is grayed-out, and all three shipping options are showing as "unavailable" in red. Have you tried putting one in your cart this morning and seeing what happens, just for the heck of it? Hell, for all I know, they had ten left and sold them, who knows?

barondla likes this.
  6. jdog
    Sorry guys. I called Fry's customer service after posting the ad, and they tell me the Pono's have been sold out. They must not have had very many left to sell...

barondla likes this.
  7. oneway23
    No worries, jdog. The Pono dream was nice while we had it. Appreciate the heads-up!

barondla likes this.
  8. jwbrent
    Just bought a Pono and I was wondering if a firmware update added digital out.

I think the last firmware was v1.06. Was that the best version overall for sound and operation?

barondla likes this.
  9. barondla
    The v1.0.6. firmware is the best operating, by far. The previous fw cut off DSD files after about 3.5 minutes. Don't think the fw made much difference, if any, in sound quality.

The Pono doesn't have digital out with any fw. The whole point of the Pono is the dac and discrete parts in the analog amp. Little reason to bypass the dac.

jwbrent and Left Channel like this.
  10. jwbrent
    Anybody know of a site that sells a case for the Pono? I did a web search and nothing came up.

I noticed the limited edition units came with a leather case, so if anyone isn’t using theirs, I’m interested in purchasing it.

11. jwbrent
    I saw a thread on Computer Audiophile how one can go about updating the firmware to the latest version, 1.0.6. My new Pono came with 1.0.5, and the method indicated doesn’t work—I’ve tried several times. The firmware.xml file which I trashed each time keeps reappearing overriding the 1.0.6 update file.

I did reboot each time to no avail.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one other thing, it appears there isn’t gapless playback on the Pono.

12. barondla
    It has been a few years since I did the update. I used the method that is on the Pono Music forum. Believe Computer Audiophile got the update from there or JRiver. Anyway, there is a . that has to be in the firmware ( as shown in the original instructions). Many miss typing that in. If you have JRiver Media Center 23 or newer, it will automatically update the player, just like Pono Music World did.

If all else fails join the Pono Music community (yes, it still exists) and ask. Someone will help you through it.

jwbrent likes this.
  13. jwbrent
    Thank you for your reply. I ended up on the Pono Community where someone had uploaded the correct file and instructions, and all worked as advertised.

barondla likes this.
  14. barondla
    Glad it worked for you. How well do the A&K and PonoPlayer push the Utopia? Or is that Mojo only territory? Heard the Utopia on a large amp and have no idea how difficult they are to drive.

15. jwbrent
    Haven’t tried the PonoPlayer yet since I just bought it and I’m burning it in. Also, I ordered a balanced cable for it today ... will probably need it to drive the Utopia. The AK240SS drives the Utopia well when I use the balanced outputs. No issues with the Mojo.

First

Back
306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315
317 318 319 320 321 322 323
Next

Last