1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by currawong, Sep 28, 2012.
First

Back
304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313
315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323
Next

Last
  1. drew911d
    Yes! That leather case is a rough version of what I want. Wish I could find the source, or maybe I'll go to a local leather maker..

2. drew911d
    Using the same balanced cable and my K10 on the Codex is a very nice option. I really want to start with a great HP though. That's actually what is driving my want for a home dac. Been eyeing the Ether for a long time, but now there's the Utopia.. Pricey, but hey, at home I'd like to experience every bit of sonic bliss I can while I'm still topside... was thinking yggy, liquid gold, utopia. But, I'll definitely look into the Codex more.

3. L8MDL
    You might find an abandoned case from the Kickstarter Signature series on eBay...

4. barondla
    Got to hear the Ether on a Yggy at my first Head-Fi meet this year. Also heard the Focal Utopia on Schiit multi bit dac ( model below the Yggy) and a DNA tube amp. The Ether were warmer and darker vs the Utopia.

I never visited Etsy. Can't you just search for Pono leather case? Can't be that many available.

5. bmoregnr
    I don't want to use the Codex with the computer which I understand is necessary vs say going digital out of a DAP into it. I don't want to use the computer at all. I'd love for Ayre to slap a small screen and a few card slots on the front of the Codex and turn it into a desktop player. I'd go balanced out to some powered monitors and have everything I want.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. barondla
    Doesn't the Codex also have a toslink input to work with transports and DAPs.

7. bmoregnr
    Hmmm good question. I'm going to reach out to Ayre and find out as I've found very little said about non computer sources. You are probably right though because I was looking in a usb context and someone said their phone didn't work but that is half the story maybe.

8. L8MDL
    Codex specs From Ayre:
    Features
    • USB and Optical (Toslink) inputs
    • Headphone outputs
      Two 3.5mm mini-phone jacks.
      One ¼" phone jack.
    • 3.5mm mini-phone jacks configurable to balanced mode.
    • Asynchronous transfer mode for USB input.
    • DSD or PCM input over USB.
    • Minimum phase digital filter.
    • Single-pass 16x oversampling.
    • Ayre's exclusive Diamond output circuit
    • Linear analog AyreLock power supply
    • [​IMG]zero-feedback, [​IMG]fully-balanced discrete circuitry.
    • Equilock circuitry for active gain devices.
    Specifications
    Output Level
    Headphone or Preamp Mode :
    7.0 volts balanced, 3.5 volts single-ended
    DAC Mode : 4.0 volts balanced, 2.0 volts single-ended

Input
    USB :
    PCM 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz, 384 kHz (up to 24 bits), DSD64, DSD128
    Optical input (Toslink)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. Left Channel
  10. barondla
    From Ayre Acoustics:

Charles Hansen 1956 - 2017

With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, has passed away on November 28th, 2017. Those who knew Charley knew that he was a passionate man who always stood up for what he believed to be right. His family knew him as a loving and dedicated father of his two children. With the passing of Charley, the world has lost one of the most creative and innovative minds in the audio industry and we have lost a good friend.

While we can never replace Charley, his spirit lives on in the team at Ayre. We are dedicated to continuing his mission of creating and manufacturing the best sounding audio equipment in the world. Most importantly, we will be there for our friends, partners, and customers who have supported us over the years. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at any time.

We wish you all the best over the holidays, and please play an album for Charley sometime.

[​IMG]
    Charley Hansen R.I.P.
    https://www.facebook.comThis content is provided by Embed.ly, a third-party service.
    Charles Hansen 1956 - 2017 With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, has passed away on November 28th...

11. jagwap
    Such a sad loss: for his family, friends and collegues, but also to Audio. He was one of the greatest audio design engineers.

(Just for context I am a descrete audio design engineer, and I feel I know enough to recognise my betters.)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Discman634 and barondla like this.
  12. Left Channel
    barondla and Discman634 like this.
  13. Left Channel
    barondla likes this.
  14. waynes world
    Thanks. Awesome.

15. Turrican2
First

Back
304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313