Poll: What's your primary headphone "listening style"?
Mar 27, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 54
Thanks for participating, those of you so far. This is very interesting to me.

Am I alone in thinking that listening style is a crucial factor in determining a reviewer's perspective?

Wouldn't you rather take advice from someone who listens in the same way as you, or does that simply not matter to you?

Do you think that people who listen differently might prefer different headphones?

To what degree do you think this effect/phenomenon is relevant?

markl
P.S. I listen with eyes closed and lights dimmed.

Mar 27, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 54
From the time I get home from work (can't listen there
mad.gif
), I usually have a pair of headphones on...........cooking dinner, surfing Head-Fi, grading papers, etc. That type of listening is done with a portable system. But when everything settles down, I like to lie on the couch, eyes closed and really listen to the music. I try to do this for at least an hour or two each evening. Unfortunately, I often fall asleep before the two hour mark. My television viewing has really taken a big hit since I discovered the pleasures of headphone listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for your question, markl, I think that those of us who focus on the music with eyes closed may be more intense in their listening............and will be bothered more by any perceived imperfections in the sound. I know that when I listen while doing other things, I don't focus nearly as much on the sound quality. I'm not sure which is better. The enjoyment of the music itself may come to the fore when one is engaged in other activities, while the pleasurable experience of the sound quality and the music tends to be more intense if the sole activity is listening.

Mar 27, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 54
The fewer the variables, usually the better. Unfortunately in audio, there's a LOT of variables, but with headphones, the added functionalities (portable, work, travel) adds more variables complicating things even more.

I think that the application, tastes, and budget are equally important.

If I dim the lights and close my eyes, I'll fade away into sleep with my Senns on (happens a lot,
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 27, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 54
me doing homework (trig, physics, etc.) while listening to some tunes.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #20 of 54
I haven't voted for any of the choices yet (but that may change); lately I have been headphone-listening only on the go. (I couldn't use headphones at all at home, and I couldn't listen to music at all while on the job.)

However, given my listening history since joining HeadWizeFi, I am split between #3 and #5 - and still undecided at this point.

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 54
I'm too "Type A" to listen for listening's sake, so I'm split between #1 and #2. I spend more time doing #1, so that's the way I voted.

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 54
95% of the time it is after everyone in the family has gone to bed, I have finished my soldering for the day, and it's my time. Lights go out, except for one soft glowing light, the headphones come on, and the eyes try to stay open. But invariably, when the music starts my eyes close and I get lost in the music. I try to listen to at least 2 CDs before I go to bed, but I rarely get through them before I fall asleep in my recliner.
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 54
I have found that headphone listening is a very meditative and relaxing activity. A nice side-benefit of the hobby for me.

I empathize with those of you who find it hard to focus solely on the music. I have actually taken it as a kind of challenge to myself to work towards being able to just sit still and let the music in for longer and longer stretches. It's not easy to get yourself into that state, especially in today's world where you are always moving and thinking so fast, it's hard to rachet down the brain.

Nevertheless, with my eyes closed, I try to empty my head of all thoughts and put my brain into "receive mode" . Doing this can really take you away and connect you even closer to the music you are listening to.

Try it. Switch off your mind and float downstream. It's good for your brain!

markl

Mar 27, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 54
I always listen alone, focusing all my attention on the music. If you're doing something else while listening, IMO you're no longer really listening; you're merely hearing.

Mar 27, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 54
I'm a lights out, eyes closed kind of guy. As for taking advice, it doesn't matter about the other guy's listening style as long as I respect their judgement in the first place.

Mar 27, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 54
My favourite listening is eyes shut etc.
But walking at night with my portable rig and the open nature
of the DT931s allowing the ambient quiet to be heard[!?] can
be just as good but more rare an experience.

For late night shut eye listening I try to avoid anything too relaxing or zzzzz can be a problem.

Setmenu

Mar 27, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #28 of 54
When I'm listening seriously, I'm not focused at all. The music comes in, and flows slowly right out. "take in the music, let it go and do it again..." It's a wonderful state to be in, no worries what so ever. I guess I could close my eyes, but why when I'll be falling asleep listening anyway?
biggrin.gif
It's like being drunk.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I could get into this state even in a prison cell if music that I love is being played, especially if the equipment used brings out the tonal characteristics that I enjoy the most.

Listening on the go is equally important to me, I like to hear music at all times (I listen whenever possible).

Mar 27, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #29 of 54
I always start out trying to do things while listening, but I almost always end up sitting down and listening with my eyes closed.

Oddly enough I have never fallen asleep with my cans on.

Mar 27, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #30 of 54
IME there is a very fine line between listening with lights out and eyes closed, and sleep. I cross it often...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back