Poll: what headphones should I get? (Please Help)

What would you recommend?

• Steel Series Arctis Pro Wired

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sennheiser GSP 600

• Audio Technica ATH-AG1X

• Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X

• Victrix Pro AF

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oOFreshdataOo

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some advice in choosing a really good gaming headset to play a first person shooter (Rainbow 6 Siege) which i play competatively on PS4. I currently have the Astro A40TR with Mixamp Pro. But wanting something better.. much better! Preferably Hi-Fi.

Also I'm not 100% sure if I should use open or closed back. I have been using my astro a40s as open back for the better sound stage. I'm not concerned with background noise in my room while I game or my headphones bleeding sound out into my room.

So far this is the list of headphones which I'm interested in below..

Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless or Wired
Sennheiser GSP 600
Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Audio Technica ATH-AG1X
Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X
Victrix Pro AF

I would also like to find an DAC or Mix amp to use with my headphones that will increase performance on my headphones. One feature I really like with the Astro Mix amp is that it can increase or decrease game and chat volume separately on the fly.
My Budget for headphones is about $550 Canadian and for the mix amp/DAC probably around $400.

Remember I'm using this on PS4 so the mix amp/dac would have to be compatible.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 19
A Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 + Antlion Mod mic will give you about the same results (or better) as the MMX 300 for less money. (also 1 more cable to deal with).

The MMX 300 Gen 2 is basically a DT790 pro headset but with the same rear cup vents as the DT770 Pro (which increases bass response).

Either way, Beyer would be my choice. They're built like tanks (essentially remodelled professional industry audio/video headsets) and they have pretty good isolation for competitive gaming - which is why closed back gaming is better.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 19
What about the DT 1990 Pro or the DT 1770 Pro with a modmic 5? Would either of those headphones be supremely better overall? Also could you possibly recommend an amp that would work well paired up with these?

1 current feature I love about my current astro mix amp is I can control game volume and chat volume instantly on the fly.

And from what I have been reading some people seem to say open back headphones are better for gaming because of more sound stage.. what are your thoughts on open vs closed back? I dont want the bass to be overpowering.. I want to be able to pick up on the quietest little foot steps or a guy reloading his gun from across the map lol

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 19
Havn't had enough experience with the 1990 or 1770 to say anything about their gaming abilities.
They are better... but not 'supremely' better. Definitely noticeably better for music, which is more an active listening experience than gaming which is mostly passive.
The diminishing returns kicks in hard going from DT770 Pro 80 to either of them.

I would stick with your mixer, just for the convenience it's hard to beat.

Open-back gaming for 'soundstage' is a bit of a myth, since it doesn't really help you hear directional audio at all.
It only creates a slightly larger sense of space.
I much prefer closed-back gaming every time because it helps isolate those small in-game sounds from my keyboard and mouse clicks, computer fan noises, traffic noises out the window etc, so there's less chance of being distracted from a fuller immersion.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 19
I've never owned it, but it's very unlikely.
It's built and marketed as a gaming product, so it doesn't even have detailed specifications regarding it's power output, meaning it is not designed to be a high fidelity headphone amp, but a great tool for user convenience and experience.

To get 'the most' out of a DT1770 really depends on your budget and your sanity ^_^
It's not an insanely difficult headphone to drive, so even a small 'budget amp' will set you up indefinitely
Some will argue 'oh but it scales up so much with bigger and better amps', which is almost always true, but the increments are so small, it's often not 'worth it', especially for a passive audio experience like gaming.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 19
Hmmm I've never heard of Audeze Mobius.. how would these pair up against the DT 1770 or DT 1990...

Im extremely lost and becoming overwhelmed researching all of these headphones and trying to make a decision..

I just want a really really sick set of headphones for playing first person shooters mostly rainbow 6 siege on ps4.. which I can use with my mixamp and probably an amp.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Hi

Right now i have Sennheiser HD280 and i am pleased with them.
However, i am looking for closed-back over ear headphones with 600ohms drivers for an upgrade.
The ones i found are DT 770 600 ohm version.
The problem is that Beyerdynamic doesn't have them any more for sale(only has in 32, 80 and 250 ohms).
On the other hand they have DT 770 600 ohm drivers(systems) for spare parts.

my question is can i open and desolder the older drivers and replace them with 600 ohm ones?
i have read that DT 770, DT 880 and DT 990 all have 45mm drivers.

The second question is are there other headphones that don't cost arm and leg that fit the discription?
Between 150-250$ is the sweet spot.

i have Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card so that should be able to handle 600 ohms.
i am an audiophile so sound quality is pretty important.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Hi

Right now i have Sennheiser HD280 and i am pleased with them.
However, i am looking for closed-back over ear headphones with 600ohms drivers for an upgrade.
The ones i found are DT 770 600 ohm version.
The problem is that Beyerdynamic doesn't have them any more for sale(only has in 32, 80 and 250 ohms).
On the other hand they have DT 770 600 ohm drivers(systems) for spare parts.

my question is can i open and desolder the older drivers and replace them with 600 ohm ones?

The second question is are there other headphones that don't cost arm and leg that fit the discription?
Between 150-250$ is the sweet spot.

i have Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card so that should be able to handle 600 ohms.
i am an audiophile so sound quality is pretty important.
First I think we need to establish why you would like a 600 ohm headphone specifically?
Aside from the increased damping factor which might give you slightly better sound (?) there isn't much point.
The most popular version of the DT770 is the 80 ohm Professional (for example) because it gives the most exciting bass response and isn't difficult to drive decently.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 19
Thank you for the reply.

i started to read about headphone specs and found about impedance.
i have a pair of HD280 and they work well with my smart phone (HD280 has 64 ohms but it isn't a problem).
Anyway, while i was reading i discovered that higher impedance headphones are more suitable for non portable uses.
Also the higher the impedance the better sound details are (provided that the headphones are decent) at least according to many people.
i have a decent PC with enough juice to drive them (Essence STX) .
Therefore i decided that i want ones with 600ohms if possible.

i also have read that DT 770 600 ohms have the best sound of DT 770 series.
Here is one topic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt770-600-ohms-premium-appreciation.565722/

i am happy to answer any questions regarding my upgrade.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Anyway, while i was reading i discovered that higher impedance headphones are more suitable for non portable uses.
This is kind of a myth, as you also need to be aware of the headphone's sensitivity.

Take the Hifiman HE-6 for example. It has an ohm rating of 50, but a sensitivity of 83.5dB.
It's one of the most difficult headphones to drive properly. Notoriously so.
That doesn't mean a weedy little amp won't bring it to listenable volumes, but the amplifier won't do the headphone any justice and certain aspects of the sound like dynamics will suffer greatly.

Rolling back a bit: Yes, this is completely possible. They're also interchangeable, and many of them share the same drivers. It's the housings and pads that change the sound the most.

Ok, now back on track:
The 600 ohm version might be the 'best' objectively, but there's no guarantee you'll enjoy it.
As you said, you own the HD280: those are widely regarded here as objects of hate.. but that's beside the point.
HD280 is overall a more neutral headphone (ugh... can't believe I just called it neutral)... and DT770 600 is more lean.
So initial impressions on DT770 might be 'unlistenable tizzy treble' since that is what you're brain is currently accustomed to, but you won't know for sure until you hear it.
DT770 80 and 250 ohm variants are closer in tonality to the HD280 (although still very different in overall presentation) so they should certainly still be up for consideration, especially if you need deep rumbly bass in your life.

In the end, you want to get a headphone you enjoy, and you're not going to get any joy from a bunch of numbers printed on a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back