Poll: Repair D-11 or D-5 discman?
Nov 17, 2005 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
So guys, this is the thing. I have a Sony D-11 in perfect order, except that the transport gets stuck after the firts 45 minutes on a CD and a D-5 with som other quircks: It needs to have and adjustmen on tracking (plays fine while being on a 45 angle), static on the volume pot and loose jacks on the headphone and line out. They use the same transport, so I was thinking about trasplanting the D-5 transport to the d-11, but I was wondering if it could be more worthwhile to repair the D-5.

Whatever player you help me choose, I'll be using it ampless on the train to work. I already have a newer discman and a cheap CD-MP3 player, but they are a bit lacking compared to the sound of the older guys. So, what do you guys think?

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Come on guys and gals. Someone out there must have an opinion
confused.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The D-5 is THE classic.

Repair that one, at least for the sake of it being practically a museum piece.

-Ed

Do the right thing and repair that D-5!!! It's _twenty-one years_ old! Wasn't it the first Sony portable CD player?

BTW, does anyone have any photos of this unit or any other old units? I always wondered how it looks. I'd also like to see some 'action' photos (well at least screen running) too.

PS: I once had a D-303 (in early 2000). Nice stock remote & headphones came with it. Only downside about them was it was combined. :-\ Where can you get vertical headphones with the earpieces that size today?

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Okay guys, thanks. So far only 3 votes, but the D-5 is wining over the D-11. I guess the choice is clear then. Gracias
icon10.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 9
PDRM1970abg.jpg

Not a great pic, but first one a google search found.

The D-5 was THE first Sony Discman, in fact the first consumer portable CD player.

I remember my dad having one, until as a young kid I think I accidentally fried it by hooking it up to a car power adapter that was the wrong voltage.

Oopsies. Perhaps I should've saved that for the ill fated confessions thread.....
tongue.gif

-Ed

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Another vote to repair the D-5. For a PCDP that's over 20 yrs old and being Sony's first discman it sounds great. It has a powerful headphone out that puts out quite a slam. I have two of them and still use them occasionally.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi there. I haven't done anything yet, but the repairs will run for around 30 dollars. I am also going to have my D-20 fixed, but that's gonna be around December the 15th, when I get my Xmas bonus and plan to do some shopping and visit the electrical shop. I'll let you know what happens then.Chrs.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back