[POLL]Is it ok to question validity of "audiophile" claims/equipment?
Oct 10, 2007 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
After a discussion I had last night in another thread, just started me thinking. People take this hobby very seriously, as do I.

One of my personal principles I live by in my day to day life, is No Sacred Cows. I highly support critical thinking about absolutely everything.

Basically Question Everything, just because people say something is true, doesn't mean it is, just because a majority of people say something is true, doesn't mean it is. Just because someone in a position of authority says something is true, doesn't mean it automatically is.

Now the flip side is being so cynical that you don't trust anyone or anything, that is NOT what I advocate or believe.

I think I figured out why some people latch onto this mentality, but I'll get to that at the end
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a background in scientific research, and also history, I am a member of the Phi Beta Theta historical honor society(or at least I was, haven't paid dues in a long time
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Even when it comes to history, just because someone has an Ivy League Ph.D., and has a very popular new take on a particular era of history, doesn't mean their theory is automatically right, or it should be less scrutinized. If anything it should be scrutinized even more so!

How does all of this relate to audio?

Well some people involved in this hobby, not just on here but many places online, advocate the idea that you shouldn't critically examine audio equipment or claims of fellow audiophiles.

Now as I stated above, critical thinking is imperative, and I refuse to not think about audio as critically as I do everything else.

Now I would never advocate being a rude jerkoff. However there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with what someone says. It doesn't make you a bad internet person. There is nothing wrong with questioning someone elses claims if they run contrary to what you think.

For example, the idea of "purity" many of us have when it comes to the audio signal. People go through great lengths to make sure the sound is pure. Never ever using EQ, making sure they listen with ASIO or Kernal streaming to make sure they get the cleanest signal possible.

Then the same people will us upsampling. Now from what I know of upsampling, basically it uses an extremely complex mathematical algorithm to produce the higher sample rates. However these samples do not actually exist in the recording. So why would you want to "color" or modify the signal to introduce samples that aren't even a part of the original recording?

Also as to "No EQ", I have actually used EQ in Foobar to drop the low end down on my Sennheiser 580s. Why? Because heavy booming bass really hurts my ears. So I just dropped around 50hz and below down a few DB, this way my ears dont bother me. However people have reacted to me with shock and horror "You use EQ on a Sennheiser?!?!?!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
" Said in the exact same tone as they were saying "You mean you like to mug 80 year old woman?!?!?!?
blink.gif
".

I don't see anything wrong with EQing, especially when the mixing board that was used to make the CD you are listening too probably had the EQs up and down, I highly doubt the EQ was just straight across.....also who knows what kind of opamps and such were used. I am sure you get my point
wink.gif

Also I have had many people recommend the DPS for my Gilmore Lite, I would love to try it but the Elpac is pretty large and sturdy, plus its not like I am plugging it into the wall. If you look at my sig I have a nice power center, MSRP is $400. It has special plus for amps that are designed to give amps extra power. I really don't see what I would gain from having the DPS for my Gilmore, or what the science is behind this.

Yet again people are like "but it gives it more POWER!!!" How much power does it really need?
blink.gif

On another forum I was talking lossless audio. Personally I love Monkey Audio .APE. I mean all lossless encoders are lossless(Captain Obvious). So its not like FLAC or WavPack or Apple Lossless have higher sound quality that my .APE files.

I have had people say, "You use .APE? Didn't you know that it isn't truely as open source as FLAC? I refuse to use .APE because of that!" also "FLAC is the widest supported Lossless codec! Even some DVD players and such are supporting flac! APE doesn't have good support!"

Well thats nice for that person but honestly I am not a programmer anymore, and I don't care about the APE license, I just know in high compression mode it uses less space than FLAC. About a year ago I did a *.FLAC search in my Music hard drive, and I batch converted every single FLAC file I had to .APE. Saved me a great deal of space, which is the whole point of running lossless compression over .WAV. Also I don't care if DVD players and such support FLAC, I will never ever listen to my music out of a DVD player.

Also I had someone really, really annoy the crap out of me when they said "You still use .APE? LOL, NOBODY that is into the audio scene still uses .APE these days, we all (meaning members of the large audio forum) stopped using .APE a long time ago. It isn't updated as much as it used to be. Now we all use WavPack." The whole conversation made it seem like I should now frantically convert all my lossless audio to .WP simply because this individual said nobody in their audio circle liked it.

Now I am always open to try new things but I don't get the point of converting all my lossless audio to another format simply because its fashionable or the latest trend. APE now supports multi-core CPUs, has a very attractive UI, and just works well. Plus they have a FREAKING MONKEY! How cool is that? :p

On the flip side of this argument, I had someone tell me they used Apple Lossless because they only use iTunes to rip their music, and their iPod supports lossless. They said mp3s were "garbage".

Honestly I use my iPod for working out, and listening too at work. I use well encoded MP3s via EAC with secure mode and LAME for encoding. I highly doubt iTunes is as good of a ripper as EAC when it is properly set up for ripping and encoding.

Also the idea that MP3s are crap....

Last night when I was talking I mentioned a story I read on another forum. A guy there had an audiophile friend with "Golden Ears"(his words). This guy had a $50,000 setup, and he despised MP3 and refused to use any lossy codecs in his system.

He convinced this friend of his to do some ABX testing with high bitrate mp3s. I cannot recall if it was 256 or 320. Regardless he had his friend do this test, and even out of his $50,000 pair of speakers he only guess right about 50% of the time. Just as good as pure chance, because properly encoded MP3s are extremely difficult to separate from lossless.

How did they guy with Golden Ears react? Not very well. I guess he became visibly upset, like eyes watering on the verge of tears. Any time his friend would bring it up, he wouldn't talk about it.

Honestly I don't think that is ok, put aside all the arguments for and against. If not being able to hear something you think you can would reduce you to tears then its time to back off of this hobby and really do a life inventory. That is not a healthy way to live.

Yet I still see people on other forums, with less expensive and simpler setups than mine claim "If you have a good setup, 320k constant mp3s are easy to spot, 100% of the time" Well maybe that is true, if you are a dog, or superman...

I occures to me that for some people, being an "audiophile" isn't just the love of music and equipment, rather it has become something much more. Instead it has become a sort of Esoteric Mysticism, a post-modern religion. Those that *gasp* actually listen to MP3s are not members of the "order". They just aren't "saved". Why does ProductX make the signal better? It just does, have faith. This might make you laugh but think about it.

Also, like any religion, where faith is the mainstay, people bitterly and viscously lash out on anyone that even suggests that there should be reasons that things sound a certain way.

On this forum and others now I have had people blatantly tell me that the Scientific method, which can be used to study anything, is suddenly invalid when it comes to audio. They are awfully angry when they say it as well.

I'm sorry but refusing to question is not a virtue.

*wheew* long post!
smily_headphones1.gif
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes.coleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes my brain hurt.

Yeah sorry I cant edit the poll question
frown.gif
I just switched around Yes and No
frown.gif

Maybe an admin will fix it for me with any luck, I say just read and respond and not worry too much about the poll.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You still use .APE? LOL, NOBODY that is into the audio scene still uses .APE these days, we all (meaning members of the large audio forum) stopped using .APE a long time ago. It isn't updated as much as it used to be. Now we all use WavPack." The whole conversation made it seem like I should now frantically convert all my lossless audio to .WP simply because this individual said nobody in their audio circle liked it.

You know NOTHING about audio. The PROOF: the extension for WavPack is .wv, not .wp. Ha!

If you took the trouble to LEARN before telling us that YOU know better, you'd understand why we all Wavpack: it sounds BETTER. The soundstage is WARMER.
You'd better believe I'm right because I'm not a mere frat boy: I've got my own LODGE. FNORD.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know NOTHING about audio. The PROOF: the extension for WavPack is .wv, not .wp. Ha!

If you took the trouble to LEARN before telling us that YOU know better, you'd understand why we all Wavpack: it sounds BETTER. The soundstage is WARMER.
You'd better believe I'm right because I'm not a mere frat boy: I've got my own LODGE. FNORD.

I don't know I think FLAC and ALAC have a more natural tonal balance compared to wavpack.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know
frown.gif
But hey, today I got a nice Tributaries Delta 75 Ohm cable on sale for $15 from a local hi-fi shop. I wanted a shiny, bright sound so I wrapped the entire cable in Aluminum foil. So far the highs and upper-mids are center stage, I really like the new sound.

I wanted a Darker sound from my Little Dot II, so I put asbestos inside a black cardboard box just large enough to cover the tubes and the base of the AMP.

Also I think FLAC is the most neutral lossless codec by FAR

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 95
The story about the $50,000 audio guy and his inability to discern 320 mp3s and Flacs got me thinking too. Maybe I keep using FLAC because I've read that it is the utmost best format for critical listening, but yet, maybe I probably can't tell the difference between the two either!

I'm going to rip a few FLAC songs into different high-end lossy files and shuffle through them. Before each song ends I'm going to mark down my guesstimate what format it is and mark it down, and look at the iMod to see what it really is. Hopefully, I'll finally know if I can hear a difference, if not, I'm glad I can start saving HD space and just use high lossy files
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 95
Absolutely, question the athorities and learn if they can explain theorys that make sense and hopefully you then can benifit by that vicarious experience. The problem in aplication is to the "degree" that it actually makes a difference and holds true in our own experience to the degree we were led to believe...

[THINK: "Night & Day" or "Blows out of the water" differences]

"Some things that count, can't be counted and some things that can be counted don't count " ... Paraphrasing that wise one speaking humblingly of his own abilities to know and the limits of science, Albert E.

I agree with you, however I think, I too may have messed up your pole by voting 180 degrees from my intentions
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 95
About FLAC vs. MP3.

There are samples out there that people can successfully pass double blind tests under. There is a small archive of them here. A lot of these have been critical in refining LAME to the point it is today.

That being said, most samples cause people to fail miserably in a DBX, even tested by developers who know what to listen for.

About FLAC vs. MP3 though, I really wish computers were fast enough that you could just rip everything as FLAC and have it transcode to MP3 (or whatever else you need) on the fly as it transmits to your portable device. Hard drives are big enough and ripping to lossless is the ultimate future proofing of your collection since you can transcode into any fotm (actually, more like fot-decade) and not worry about all the problems going from one lossless format to another. Until then, compromises
frown.gif

People get very touchy about the topic actually in the op though. It's really not surprising, science has a long history of trampling all over ideas, and humans have a long history of resenting it while reaping the fruits of the endeavor.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 95
Question everything, especially if it has little to no, or "bad," proof.

And by the way, I think the whole point about not EQ'ing is because the sound engineer that recorded the music is supposed to know best, and they got the EQ right, and you shouldn't mess with their work, or something. That's what the Wikipedia article says (yes, I know WP is not a reputable source, but, meh), anyway. It also says that this hobby is about getting reproduction as close to the original recording/live performance as possible.

I use lossless for archival purposes. And I like to carry around my music collection with me (in case anything should happen to my CD's or HDD's, I really need a dedi or some off-site NAS...), so I won't lose my music.

The poll confused me, I voted yes...But I meant No, be skeptical.

I must say, this hobby, really is just like a religion. If you dare question the all-knowing fanatics, you get tied up to a stake and burned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back