Poll: Is gaming a waste of time?
Jan 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 248

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Most serious gamer spends several hundred hours playing games on their PC, Xboxs, PS3, etc.. Do you think gaming is a waste of time? I know I should ask this in a computer forum but since there are several gamers here I think making a poll here on head-fi will be interesting. :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 248
Sure it is. So are nearly all hobbies. But what's wrong with that? You don't have to be doing something productive every minute of your life. Sometimes you should just have fun.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 248
Fun isn't a waste of time. People need to start having more fun. That said, for the most part the skills I have developed through gaming have not been the most useful around :p

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 248
Depends. I'm a fairly avid gamer but until recently I'd been spending most of my time listening to music when I would have been gaming. Over the Christmas period I've found myself gaming again, but listening to less music as a result.

I guess they're both a waste of time in a way, but by that definition so is visiting art galleries, going to the cinema, reading books etc.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 248
I think it depends on what kind of game you play. I've seen my friends play MMORPG games for like 16~17hrs/day during summer vacation. They didn't eat, they didn't sleep. That definitely is a waste of time, but I now play ~30 minutes of Starcraft (yeah I am a Korean kid) with my friends every day just to refresh myself, and I feel good that way.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 248
Kirosia plays Persona 3 and pretends all the characters are his real-life friends

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 248

Quote:
Depends. I'm a fairly avid gamer but until recently I'd been spending most of my time listening to music when I would have been gaming. Over the Christmas period I've found myself gaming again, but listening to less music as a result.

I guess they're both a waste of time in a way, but by that definition so is visiting art galleries, going to the cinema, reading books etc.

I'm currently unemployed so I have to have something to do. I game perhaps ~3-5 hours daily, but always listen to music while doing so. DotA and HoN ftw...

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 248
I haven't played videogames in nearly a month and I really need to start getting back into them.  I think as long as you're having fun and it's not disrupting your life, then it's fine.  It's such a great way to relax.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 248

Quote:
Kirosia plays Persona 3 and pretends all the characters are his real-life friends

Show us how you summon your Persona, Kirosia
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 248
Gaming can be loads of fun and everyone needs some form of R-n-R. It's a waste if the fantasy of playing a game consumes your life.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 248

Quote:
Sure it is. So are nearly all hobbies. But what's wrong with that? You don't have to be doing something productive every minute of your life. Sometimes you should just have fun.

I agree here.  And we only became obsessed with how we spend our time around 1840-50s in America.  This was when the factory clock was introduced in factories and places of business.  Once you literally see time going by, you find it so much more precious and valuable.  Why?  Because time is money, and we got this notion from the factory clocks of the industrial revolution.  

Before the time-piece and clocks on every wall, mankind did his work when he wanted to, and "played" or relaxed when he wanted to.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back