POLL: If you could have only one - Denon AH-D5000, Sen HD650, or AKG K701
Aug 2, 2008 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new reference set of headphones and I'm curious who out there prefers which. The choices, if you could purchase only one, Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701. Let's hear it!

UPDATE: Sorry for this, I forgot to add Grado SR325s.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 105
This is a no brainer.. the D5000's by a land slide...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 105
Well, that is a loaded poll, but if I were to choose just out of those headphones and I didn't have an amplifier or any sort of dac to power them out of, then I would definitely choose the Denon AH-D5000 because they would most likely sound better straight out of anything you plug them into.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 105
As a person who own all of three cans, it is definitely HD650 (and now it is my top 1 can now, trumping previous K701)

It handles everything I throw, giving very balanced, relaxed, yet detailed sound.

K701 limits to mostly light classical and piano.
The only advantage D5000 has over HD650 is that it is closed can and has nice woody cups.

Edit : interesting to see people choosing D5000. IMHO D5000 is slightly inferior to HD650 in terms of SQ with similar sound signature.
Since OP has an amp, I think HD650 will be fine.

Edit 2 : maybe current feeling is a bit biased since I do not listen to unbalanced HD650 anymore (now it is balanced...)

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a person who own all of three cans..

I've also owned all three, and even the D2000's with about 175 hours on them sound better than the Senn's or K701's. I've owned a few recabled K701's before, and they're nothing fancy. No bass at all.

The Denon's have extremely nice bass, that is if you enjoy natural sounding bass, not bloated or inflated like some 'phones.

I had the 650's with a tube amp and to me, was nothing special, but I honestly respect your opinion. That's what makes this hobby so neat.

To OP: what's your system look like, and what type of music do you like?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To OP: what's your system look like, and what type of music do you like?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

I am getting a Little Dot MK V to replace my current Creek amp, so I've got plenty of clean power. Source is DAC and apple lossless files. I listen to a wide variety from techno to rock, rap, and classical, so versatility is very important to me. I like bass, but not at the expense of accuracy.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting a Little Dot MK V to replace my current Creek amp. Source is DAC and apple lossless files. I listen to a wide variety from techno to rock, rap, and classical, so versatility is very important to me. I like bass, but not at the expense of accuracy.

I believe the 650's benefit from a warm tube amp, and the Denon's benefit from a nice SS amp. Since the LD is a SS amp, I feel you will benefit greater from the Denon's. Either the D2000's or D5000's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 105
My biggest problem with D5000 is that sometimes the bass is way too strong, and still has typical closed phone's problem: congested sound (this really makes the sound very artificial.... listened various cans like W5000, CD3000, A900 and they all have this serious problem. So far Denon has the least on this issue, but still annoys me.)

And yes, K701 lacks bass..... thus not a good for chamber classical and most of modern music.

According to his signature, OP has decent setup.... So he will not have other problems to drive his cans.

Edit : At least I am very sure K701 is not for him, since its use is limited.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

My biggest problem with D5000 is that sometimes the bass is way too strong, and still has typical closed phone's problem: congested sound (this really makes the sound very artificial.... listened various cans like W5000, CD3000, A900 and they all have this serious problem. So far Denon has the least on this issue, but still annoys me.)

Well, this is my first "closed" headphone, and it sounds very similar to all the open headphones I've tried.

I have read that the bass is "too strong" at times, however I import ALL my CD's, so I am geared toward perfect mastering, which could be why the D2000's bass sounds "right", and never bloated or flabby. I listen to 90% classic Rock, and I wouldn't say once it was ever "too much". Nor do I ever find it congested at all. Maybe my ears and music is perfect for the Denon's.. I don't know.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 105
I'd go with the "new" version of the HD650s... but... I'd still have to have the D5000s for their incredible soundstage, definition, and shimmery detail on selected acoustic pieces (Clampton - Unplugged, etc.).

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 105
Just an update to those who missed my top edit. I forgot to add the Grado SR325s. Do they compare with the above?

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 105
Do you use Corda Aria for your D5000? Maybe I should try that amp, but I am afraid that it would not be better than my beta22.

Most of times I listen to Rock and Classical.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with the "new" version of the HD650s... but... I'd still have to have the D5000s for their incredible soundstage, definition, and shimmery detail on selected acoustic pieces (Clampton - Unplugged, etc.).

I'm surprised by your comment about the soundstage of the D5000s. How can a closed design headphone like the Denon's match the open soundstage of the HD650s?

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 105
SR225 is already very aggressive can (so does other grado) I heard that SR325 is worse... so it will not be fit for various genres you listen.

Gradofan probably meant modded D5000.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 105
Quote:

Do you use Corda Aria for your D5000? Maybe I should try that amp, but I am afraid that it would not be better than my beta22.

Most of times I listen to Rock and Classical.

Well I will be upgrading to the Opera when I can.

You are correct, your B22 is a better amp, and probably a pinch better than the Opera, depending on what you have inside your amp.

However synergy is very important to me, so I will be staying with the Meier line for my Denon's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back