Poll: ESW9 or IE8
Mar 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both of them, and for sound quality I think ESW9 is quite a bit above IE8. But you just can't beat IEMs for portability.

Interesting. I have ATH-M50s which I heard are at a similar SQ level as ESW9 and I also prefer them to IE8s and maybe Westone 3s as well for many types of music. I just feel that they sound more open and more natural. I feel that with IEMs, some instruments and vocals are a bit too close sometimes, sort of "boring" into your brain, but ATH-M50s don't have that problem - they sound a lot more relaxed and don't force anything on you. I think this may have to do with IEMs bypassing the outer ear and it's spatial detection mechanisms or whatever they are called.
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 21
btw Pianist u did not try IE8 am I right? I mean " I feel that with IEMs, some instruments and vocals are a bit too close sometimes, sort of "boring" into your brain" = bad soundstage. but IE8 has the best soundstage as far as I can tell.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw Pianist u did not try IE8 am I right? I mean " I feel that with IEMs, some instruments and vocals are a bit too close sometimes, sort of "boring" into your brain" = bad soundstage. but IE8 has the best soundstage as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't refer it as "Soundstage", more like headstage tbh. Some user ranted about this, but I agreed with him/her.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes I did own IE8. It has the biggest soundstage for an IEM (although not the best imaging IMO - I prefer Westone 3 for imaging), but compared to good over-the-ear cans, it still sounds forced sometimes. As I said, that's probably due to them bypassing the outer ear.

Ok, to make it clearer, what I mean is that while IE8s soundstage extends really far outside the head, unlike my M50s, with IE8s there are instruments and vocals that sometimes sound like they are in your brain.

Hope this makes sense.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 21
For myself the more I use an IEM the less I like them compared with a real headphone.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For myself the more I use an IEM the less I like them compared with a real headphone.

I hear ya, every time I put on my IEMs the sound just isn't quite there and I'm left there hanging not completely satisfied. Just picked up a pretty good deal on a new pair of ESW9's for $182 on Ebay after the live cashback rebates . The IE8's just weren't cutting it for me, though it is considerably better than my UE sf3's and NE-7M's.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 21
headphones always destroy my hairstyle....more important,i still like sen's way of sound more than ATH's portable headphones

I heard ESW10 once,but I don't think it's much better than IE8,even worth in some aspects

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I have ATH-M50s which I heard are at a similar SQ level as ESW9

That's a very bold statement. I would say M50s are around the same level as dreaded DT770 pros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphones always destroy my hairstyle....more important,i still like sen's way of sound more than ATH's portable headphones

I heard ESW10 once,but I don't think it's much better than IE8,even worth in some aspects

care to explain? You must REALLY like bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

agreed. IEMs are great for portability, but I wouldn't used them at home

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 21
I have both and I would lean towards the IE8's personally. The closer, smaller staging of IEM's doesn't bother me like it does most other people though. Sure I like the staging of full-sized headphones better but staging is only a part of the overall presentation. I believe I have the brighter version of the ESW9's so that might factor into things as well.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a very bold statement. I would say M50s are around the same level as dreaded DT770 pros.

care to explain? You must REALLY like bass.

agreed. IEMs are great for portability, but I wouldn't used them at home

That's also a very bold statement. Can you explain why you think so? I heard DT770s have overpowering bass and too much treble. I don't think ATH-M50 has those flaws - it's bass and treble are just slightly emphasized, but definitely not enough to make them sound unbalanced IMO.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's also a very bold statement. Can you explain why you think so? I heard DT770s have overpowering bass and too much treble. I don't think ATH-M50 has those flaws - it's bass and treble are just slightly emphasized, but definitely not enough to make them sound unbalanced IMO.

M50 - overpowering texture-less bass, veiled midrange -which is very odd for ATs.
DT770 pros do not have too much treble and its uncontrollable bass bleeds into the midrange.
And yes, I had them both, and both were bloody awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back