Poll...Do you hear a difference in cables
Oct 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Yes, I do.
Cables colour the signal in different ways, resulting in different sound.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 9
YES ! since i bought my anti-cables , I believe it makes just as much difference as upgrading your amp or source.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 9
from my experience interconnects make a difference but not as huge as people make them out to be. then again the only interconnects i've compared are a couple grover revisions (currently using the ur8's) and cheapo interconnects that come with components. i haven't heard any high dollar ic's in my system though, so i can't really make any final conclusions.

swapping different power cords in my system, however, there is a definate audible difference that you don't have to strain to hear.

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 9
They won't fix a system that is already mismatched to begin with. If you like the sound you are getting, cables can refine it.

You can basically get 'technically perfect' cables for very cheap. Check out Belden for example. What high end cables do, as others have said, is color the sound. This can be good, especially if you value a highly Euphonic system, tailored to suit your tastes.

Also, you need a system that has sufficiently high enough resolution to really "hear" all the differences.

In my system, I can hear the difference between burning CD's on certain Media versus others (especially when using different burning modes, like the Yamaha CDR-F1 Mastering Burn (with wider divots) for example).

Neil

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Absolutely--especially with interconnect cables.

Nov 5, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Absolutely. I wasn't a big follower of all the cable mumbo jumbo, until I really got to know the characteristics of each of my systems. I spent months auditioning different interconnect/speaker cable combinations to get just the right match for my Magneplanar/McIntosh setup and then had to do it all over again for a smaller triode tube/lowther system for my den...

the right cable combination can make or break just about any high end system, you just have to trust your ears to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back