POLL: BLADE RUNNER or THE MATRIX (original release)
Nov 10, 2008 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
These are, in my opinion, the two greatest science-fiction films of all time. I would normally add also, "2001: A Space Odyssey," but I think this film is in a category all of its own. Yes, I have not included Star Wars, I know. Please weigh in with your votes. Thanks.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 89
Yay BR ahead. Early days though. The Matrix just ripped of William Gibson... I'd love to see a movie version of Neuromancer come to fruition. I'm glad it hasn't been made yet, cos horrible visions of the Lawnmowerman keep coming to mind lol

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 89
wait.. do you mean the original blade runner vs the matrix? the blade runner with the commentary?

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 89
^^^ Honestly, yes, I considered which Blade Runner to include. There have been so many different cuts of this film, I just can't tell anymore which one is the original and which one is the replicant.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 89
I had to go w/ The Matrix. It's a close call though.

I consider myself someone that's watched way to much TV / Movies (if there is such a thing) and I didn't know there was a narrative version of Blade Runner.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 89
I cannot believe that these movies are being proposed as being on par with each other.

Blade Runner is an all time classic.
The Matrix is, well, bubblegum. Rechewed and ready to be spat out.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 89
The Matrix is more entertaining. I really enjoy Blade Runner, but the pace is so s l o w. Any good movie/novel/story rips off some thematic/mythic concepts of those that came before...that's almost the definition of good fiction, in my opinion!

I've read Neuromancer (twice) and seen the Matrix many times, and do not see the similarities. Sure, there is the concept of "jacking in" to a computer, but that's where it ends. There's more similarity to the bible than Neuromancer
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 89
Blade runner is one of the all time greats, and got my vote. However, the Matrix may seem like bubblegum at first cut, but there's a LOT more going on. Both movies question what it is to be human, and are intended to leave you thinking when it's done. That neither gets appreciated for that generally is a shame, but I think the Matrix manages to introduce more advanced philosophy than any other movie I've seen in 20 years. In a lot of ways, they are very comparable for this. They're fun SF on the surface, but cut pretty deep if you're paying attention.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 89
This was a hard one for me. I haven't seen the narrated version of BR, so in that sense I might be giving the wrong impression, but the final cut version vs. the matrix, I must say matrix takes the win. It has more entertainment value in my opinion. I just love the lobby scene
biggrin.gif

Both movies are excellent.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blade runner is one of the all time greats, and got my vote. However, the Matrix may seem like bubblegum at first cut, but there's a LOT more going on. Both movies question what it is to be human, and are intended to leave you thinking when it's done. That neither gets appreciated for that generally is a shame, but I think the Matrix manages to introduce more advanced philosophy than any other movie I've seen in 20 years. In a lot of ways, they are very comparable for this. They're fun SF on the surface, but cut pretty deep if you're paying attention.

Yes, I completely agree that there are a lot of concepts and ideas in the Matrix. This film can be bubblegum if so desired, but it doesn't take much to start peeling away the layers of meaning. That is why Blade Runner and the Matrix are my two favorite Sci-Fi movies of all time and I why I started this poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back