Poll-Best Sounding HD Based DAP
Aug 14, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 25
Heheh, you mean, Rio Karma?

Are you talking all things being equal, like all having same MP3 at the same bit rate?

Because, I can think of quite a few that sound so much better because they can play uncompressed wav's and lossless. But at a huge storage penalty.

-Ed

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 25
You should ask austonia, he's heard plenty of DAPs. As for me, I'd vote for the ipod just to spite my iriver.

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 25
I voted for the philips hdd120 out of blind loyality
biggrin.gif
eggosmile.gif
....If I didnt it would hurt my players feelings...

*whisphers* [size=x-small][size=xx-small]the karma actually sounds better[/size][/size] *whispers*

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 25
Karma all the way, I second asking Austonia, but I can pretty much guarantee he will tell you the Karma as far as modern day DAPs go, and probably the NJB3 for all HD DAPs, on strictly a sound quality basis that is.

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 25
If you prefer "fun" go with Iriver, if you want "accurate" go with Ipod. I heard both and they have their good and bad. If you don't own amp and don't mind using EQ, Iriver is a very nice sounding player.

Aug 14, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 25
I think this poll is not gonna yield valid results, cause most people only heard the player they own and gonna blindly vote for it.

Personally I only heard the Dell DJ and the IHP, and the DJ sounds way better to my ears.

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 25
Smartass.
This is actually portable. Well sort of. Hey Mr. Gilmore, you watching?
lambda.gif

Owned/own: iHP, iPod, Zen, iAudio, NJB3. I might vote for Others (NJB) as an overall aggregate of the HP and Line outputs. However of those on the list, I'll have to vote for the iPod since I've not owned the Rio and have no idea what it sounds like, and the Zen's results are inconclusive as it wasn't properly compared with the iPod.

Aug 14, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 25
Now that I own one: the Archos Gmini 220 is the best sounding player I've heard so far. From the ones listed I would choose the iPod.

peacesign.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Smartass.

Guilty, but only kinda/sorta. MP3s and most other similar formats are not up to a good redbook CD sound quality and the threadstarter's call for suggestions did not mention portable.

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 25
The fact that the iRiver iHP 1xx received as many votes compared to the Creative Zens show the validity of the poll
rolleyes.gif

IMHO, if you are buying a HDD player purely for its sound quality, iRiver would be perhaps the least bang for the buck (damn BestBuy still tries to rip people off by listing the iHP120 for $329.00
evil_smiley.gif
..)

The new king of bang for the buck might be the Karma or the 4G iPod.. (I am going to check them out myself over a period of the next two weeks, comparing them with common test samples)

I voted Creative Zens (by implication, the NJB3) based on my experience with the NJB3 and the iRiver iHP 120..

Aug 14, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Rio Karma! Best sound! Best interface!

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Karma all the way, I second asking Austonia, but I can pretty much guarantee he will tell you the Karma as far as modern day DAPs go, and probably the NJB3 for all HD DAPs, on strictly a sound quality basis that is.

Austonia knows the 3G/4G iPod's L/O is the best source out of * any * HD DAP. He just hates to admit it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back