POLL: Balanced Armature VS. Dynamic Driver
Feb 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cormann

New Head-Fier
I'm sure this poll has been done before, but I'm curious to see currently what type of tech people prefer.

I often read on this forum about how Balanced Armature and Dynamic Driver IEMs produce a different sound signature. Dynamic Drivers are generally described as warm, while Balanced Armatures are analytical - among other differences. Assuming that this is true, which sound signature do you prefer? If you'd like, please explain your reasoning. Also, if you believe that the differences aren't real and simply perpetuated by the audiophile community, please say so as well.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 32
i just got my first ever BA IEM yesterday, and i can't say that i hear a distinctly different sound out of them that i can blame them being BA on.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 32
There are tendencies but you can find examples of warm BAs and analytical dynamics. I wouldn't pre judge anything based on driver tech. Quality examples would be the REO dynamic being too analytical for some and Final Audio single BAs which are reported to be wide band and nicely textured in the bass.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
There are tendencies but you can find examples of warm BAs and analytical dynamics. I wouldn't pre judge anything based on driver tech. Quality examples would be the REO dynamic being too analytical for some and Final Audio single BAs which are reported to be wide band and nicely textured in the bass.

add the Sleek Audio SA6 to that list. i wasn't expecting such deep and powerful bass from a single BA IEM.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 32
BA's sound a bit cold to me.  I tend to like a warmer sound..........kind of like an LP used to give. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 32
I like BA drivers at first. But it was difficult to say after I listened to the MD tribute turbines. I like the versatility that BA drivers bring, but I love how smooth Dynamic drivers can deliver a sound. The verdict will be my new UM TF18s that are coming in. Super excited. Or is that totally off topic. Okay maybe a tad.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 32
Useless question IMO. Simple example: SM3 vs RE-252. BA vs Dynamic. The RE-252 are dryer, faster, have less bass, are more accurate are as detailed and have better transparency. The BA SM3 have more bass weight, are somewhat slower, have lots of warmth, a bigger soundstage... I would say exactly the opposite of the general prejudice on the matter.

I dont't think that today (it may have been true a while ago), those differences only come down to the technology used. Manufacturers can make BA iems with "dynamic" characteristics, and the opposite is true.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 32
Having owned/listened to many types of BA and Dynamic iems, I can honestly say it totally depends on the quality of the drivers and how they are tuned regardless if they are BA or dynamic. The RE0 and IE8 use dynamic drivers but yet they sound very different. More often than not, dynamic driver iems are vented so they wont isolate as well as most BA iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back