1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Audible Difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by el_doug, Aug 10, 2009.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. mmd8x28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    They certainly are for me, too. Think of that old expression: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If you start with a lousy recording, a FLAC version of the file will be nothing more than a faithful representation of a lousy recording.

That said, I still think that lossy compression is an idea whose time has passed. Storage is cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. What's the point?

Well people like me who have 3k+ songs on my list, and a 32GB iPod touch, can't possibly fit all my songs in lossless.. Not to mention, I've used the Apple store, and haven't had that choice of lossless. (Though i might go and repurchase the Gorillaz Plastic Beach on CD if not, something better, because the iTunes version has clicks and pops in their audio).

2. DrBenway
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well people like me who have 3k+ songs on my list, and a 32GB iPod touch, can't possibly fit all my songs in lossless.. Not to mention, I've used the Apple store, and haven't had that choice of lossless. (Though i might go and repurchase the Gorillaz Plastic Beach on CD if not, something better, because the iTunes version has clicks and pops in their audio).

Do you really need to carry everything around with you all the time? I have only 8GB of storage in my Clip+, and about 150 GB of music on my hard drive. Not to mention thousands of CDs and LPs that I can rip as needed.

I find it useful, actually, to have to decide every few days/weeks what I want to carry around with me. I'm forced to make decisions about what I want in my pocket. Doing so allows me to really concentrate on my music, rather than just hitting shuffle and letting the player decide what I want to hear.

Since i rarely go more than a few days without access to my PC, I can refresh the selection on my Clip+ regularly. It just doesn't seem like a hardship to me not to have absolutely everything available all the time. The 8GB in my Clip+ provides me with more than enough to choose from, as long as I don't go for weeks without refreshing the selection.

3. mmd8x28
    I do need it all. I like to shuffle it all, like a personal radio full of gold.

4. haloxt
    Mp3 players ought to have external hard drive or flash slots. I've swapped hard drives on my h120, not very fun though so I eventually just stuck with one hard drive [​IMG]. But if they made a slot to insert more drives it would help a lot by allowing people to buy multiple cheap drives rather than one super expensive drive.

But now that I think about it, how else do those stupid mp3 player companies make money except by charging for irreplaceable hard drives. I'm going to keep upgrading the hard drive on my h120 (now h180) until something vital in it fails [​IMG].

5. Skylab Contributor
    I had a 240GB drive installed in my iPod [​IMG] So plenty of room for lossless.

6. Ham Sandwich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I had a 240GB drive installed in my iPod [​IMG] So plenty of room for lossless.

Still not enough room to hold all of your Grateful Dead. ::tiedydsmile::

7. Skylab Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Still not enough room to hold all of your Grateful Dead. ::tiedydsmile::

True Dat [​IMG]

8. Young Spade
    I would love to have all of my music with me but sadly, I can only carry 8 GB (more if I ever buy a card :/)

9. aj_brown_99
    skylab do you keep all of your music in apple lossless? i just got an ipod and am having to deal with my 300+ gb of FLAC music.

10. Skylab Contributor
    Yes, I keep all my computer music in Apple Lossless. I use dbPoweramp to transcode the FLACs I download to ALAC for use in iTunes. This is a lossless process.

11. Justin Uthadude
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Do you really need to carry everything around with you all the time? I have only 8GB of storage in my Clip+, and about 150 GB of music on my hard drive. Not to mention thousands of CDs and LPs that I can rip as needed.

I find it useful, actually, to have to decide every few days/weeks what I want to carry around with me. I'm forced to make decisions about what I want in my pocket. Doing so allows me to really concentrate on my music, rather than just hitting shuffle and letting the player decide what I want to hear.

Since i rarely go more than a few days without access to my PC, I can refresh the selection on my Clip+ regularly. It just doesn't seem like a hardship to me not to have absolutely everything available all the time. The 8GB in my Clip+ provides me with more than enough to choose from, as long as I don't go for weeks without refreshing the selection.

so what kinda doctor are you... a mind reader?
    anyway, thanks for typing my answer [​IMG].

12. ROBSCIX
    I make FLAC lossless out of my CD's and put the originals away for backups.
    I prefer losslesss in both idea and sound quality.

13. Ham Sandwich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    skylab do you keep all of your music in apple lossless? i just got an ipod and am having to deal with my 300+ gb of FLAC music.

I do FLAC for my computer listening but do MP3 for the iPod. That choice was more or less made for me due to the media player software I choose to use. I use J River Media Center. It doesn't do ALAC (well, technically it can but it doesn't support ALAC very well and doesn't write to the tags).

So I do FLAC for home listening and have J River Media Center convert the FLAC files to MP3 when I sync the iPod. J River does that part well.

Not ideal for audiophile cred but good enough for me. I'm not that picky about the portable for ultimate audio quality. The iPod does do gapless with the LAME encoded MP3 and that's much more important to me than doing lossless SQ on the portable.

14. ROBSCIX
    I think quality takes a back seat to storage size when talking about portable players.

15. Skylab Contributor
    Not for me - with 160GB available on my classic and now 240gb on the iMod iPod [​IMG]

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17
Next

Last