Poll: Audeze Mobius - Post-Fix White Noise/Hiss/Noise Floor - Do you hear it?

Do you hear "white noise" or "hiss" on your post-fix unit when no audio is playing?

• Yes

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 45.0%

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

CosmicConcerto

Head-Fier
If your answer is "yes" do you consider it an acceptable amount of noise floor for an active amp headphone as Audeze claims?

The reason for this poll is simple. Some users have complained about this issue post-fix. They have sent their units back to Audeze who claim the units are within spec.

I would figure something "within spec" would not be obvious. I can hear it, and I've worked the last 10 yrs in a high noise environment and I do NOT have superhuman hearing. If I can hear it, then my unit must be above spec or there would be more complaining among the masses.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 63
It is there and audible when you have nothing playing. Once playback starts I forget about it and it has never caught my attention except when listening to straight acoustic tracks at lower volume.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 63
It is there and audible when you have nothing playing. Once playback starts I forget about it and it has never caught my attention except when listening to straight acoustic tracks at lower volume.

Yes, this is my situation as well. When nothing is playing, I have to sit and listen to static. Volume knob has no impact. It is independent of connection type which means it is internal to the device and would not be affected by noise dampening filters as far as I know.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 63
Many tube amps have some hum. All turntables have ground hum. It all comes down to what’s personally acceptable.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 63

It's noticable to me when gaming but things are really quiet. Like in a horror game. I just think for $400, when audio in a game is supposed to be dead silent , that I shouldn't hear any background static intrusion. Or like you said on really light instrumental or ambient trance tracks where silence is a part of the audio experience.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 63
I don't know much about Stax, does it still have noise even when nothing is plugged into it and just powered on?

yep. even if NO cable is plugged in except power.

so get real.

if not happy, why not face the challenges of building your own.

from my perspective, Audeze has already pulled quite a spectacular feat with sooooo limited resources.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 63
maybe i am too old to notice such hiss. i am not a piece of equipment to test headphones, i am human to appreciate music. didn't look for the hiss, so couldn't find it.

I didn't go into this looking for the hiss either. It's not like I'm out looking for something to be unhappy about. The tech in these is amazing, the 3D effect mind blowing. Audeze clearly made a good product with butt kicking tech. But there are people out there like me that can hear that their units aren't like other people's.

Maybe I just have better hearing, as a younger human, but like I said. I've spent a lot of time around rivet guns and drills that probably hasn't had the best effect on my hearing overall and yet there it is, clear as day.

Also to suggest I go make my own is ridiculous. I'm a software developer, I make the money to spend so other people can make the quality audio products. But I expect quality. If I cocked up a piece of software and someone complained it wasn't working right, I wouldn't tell them to go make something better if they didn't like it. No, I'd fix my cock up, because that's my area of expertise not their's.

Oct 7, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 63
I didn't go into this looking for the hiss either. It's not like I'm out looking for something to be unhappy about. The tech in these is amazing, the 3D effect mind blowing. Audeze clearly made a good product with butt kicking tech. But there are people out there like me that can hear that their units aren't like other people's.

Maybe I just have better hearing, as a younger human, but like I said. I've spent a lot of time around rivet guns and drills that probably hasn't had the best effect on my hearing overall and yet there it is, clear as day.

Also to suggest I go make my own is ridiculous. I'm a software developer, I make the money to spend so other people can make the quality audio products. But I expect quality. If I cocked up a piece of software and someone complained it wasn't working right, I wouldn't tell them to go make something better if they didn't like it. No, I'd fix my cock up, because that's my area of expertise not their's.

have i mentioned unit(S)? not going to respond further questions. adios.

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 63
I hear what sounds like extremely quiet noise - it's more like a 'feeling' there's sound there rather than actually hearing it, if that makes sense. It's definitely not something I would consider a problem in any capacity. I don't hear it with anything playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back