Poll:Aftermarket Qutest psu.

Chord Qutest power supply

• Stock

• Aftermarket

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #155 of 218
Have you tried the 3A to see if you hear an audible difference?
It will not work the other way round as the Pi requires more current. Any comparison would then involve using the original Pi power supply, so not a worthwhile exercise. It is my belief that the Pi benefits more from the Shanti than does the Qutest.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #157 of 218
I have recently got a Sbooster mk2, with which the Qutest has finally started to sound as it knows. I come to say that with the stock power supply, the Qutest is not worth the money it costs: harsh and fatiguing sound.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #158 of 218
I would upgrade the fuse on the LPS for the Qutest.

I upgraded the fuse on my Uptone JS2 and it made a dramatic difference.

The Uptone is powering my Lumin U1 mini.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #160 of 218
Is there an aftermarket power supply for the Qutest that is grounded?
Most of them are floating output voltages rather than tagging the voltage to ground / AC neutral.

But is that what you meant? Are you looking to ground the Qutest case? That is a different question.

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #161 of 218
Most of them are floating output voltages rather than tagging the voltage to ground / AC neutral.

But is that what you meant? Are you looking to ground the Qutest case? That is a different question.
Yes but neatly.

At the moment I just run a BNC to RCA adapter and then a iFi groundhog thing. So just a power plug with only the ground pin connected up to one of the free spots on the DAC. Works, just wondering if could do a two for one, upgrade the PSU and have grounding built in.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #162 of 218
Yes but neatly.

At the moment I just run a BNC to RCA adapter and then a iFi groundhog thing. So just a power plug with only the ground pin connected up to one of the free spots on the DAC. Works, just wondering if could do a two for one, upgrade the PSU and have grounding built in.

Hi Benno, I find this text by Nordost explains the different kinds of grounds very clearly and concisely. Seems that you are mixing the meaning of signal ground and earth ground.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #163 of 218
Hi Benno, I find this text by Nordost explains the different kinds of grounds very clearly and concisely. Seems that you are mixing the meaning of signal ground and earth ground.
Will have a read.

The gist of it is with the Qutest into a Kenzie Encore or into my active speakers (2pin power), there is a ground loop of some sort formed and savage noise. Something that happens with no other DAC yet.

If I connect any part of the Qutest such as one of the RCA or BNC ground/negative to a ground pin power plug (so powerboard, or direct to wall, earth pin to RCA/BNC ground/neg) it stops.

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #164 of 218
I'm using a Shanti with a Qutest. I read about the flimsy stock DC cables in this thread, but I'm not willing to take things apart to replace them.

Do you folks think that merely replacing the stock DC to micro-USB adapter with a Ghent Audio one (while keeping the stock DC cable intact), could make an incremental improvement? Or is that only a meaningful thing to do if the DC cable is replaced?

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #165 of 218
I'm using a Shanti with a Qutest. I read about the flimsy stock DC cables in this thread, but I'm not willing to take things apart to replace them.

Do you folks think that merely replacing the stock DC to micro-USB adapter with a Ghent Audio one (while keeping the stock DC cable intact), could make an incremental improvement? Or is that only a meaningful thing to do if the DC cable is replaced?
I doubt that changing the adapter will do much. The existing dc leads are excessively long so you could cut them down to a shorter length which will probably help much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back