Pocketable DAP (offline use of tidal, bluetooth) under 700 $
May 23, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 8
I am searching for a not so large DAP with the above mentioned characteristics.
Fiio M11 for example is too large to use for commuting.

It's going to be hard to beat the M11's size - they all appear to hit about the same there.
How important is sound quality to you? I just got the M6 and it does allow for offline use of Tidal and is incredibly portable, but the sound quality, well, it sounds like a $120 DAP. Another potential option is the M9 which is somewhere between the size of the M11 and M6 and, so I've heard, sounds pretty good.

Personally, I was not a fan of the M11. I actually returned mine. A lot of people liked it, I just wasn't a big fan of it. But, the size wasn't that bad actually - I had no problem tucking it into my pocket or backpack for commuting. I assume that would apply to DAPs similar in size.

May 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah that's probably your best option, in terms of sound quality / form factor. The A&K A&norma S25 was just released the other week, but from what you can read here it's a pretty worthy successor to the SR15 and apparently improves on the issues the SR15 had in some significant ways.

May 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah that's probably your best option, in terms of sound quality / form factor. The A&K A&norma S25 was just released the other week, but from what you can read here it's a pretty worthy successor to the SR15 and apparently improves on the issues the SR15 had in some significant ways.

I've owned 3 AK players in the past. From the AK120 to AK240. I'm done with the company. Not happy with how they are price-gouging.

May 24, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I've owned 3 AK players in the past. From the AK120 to AK240. I'm done with the company. Not happy with how they are price-gouging.

I got my SR15 used, so I got it a couple hundred bucks cheaper. $500 is pretty much as far as I'm willing to go for a piece of equipment like that. I do get a lot of use out of it, but still, for a single-purpose device like that, anything more than that isn't something I can justify to myself.

May 25, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Just to be clear I have not tested these daps (aside from CT10, but not with tidal) and can't speak to their offline app capabilities but:

Not many small daps that have those services outside of A&K with the SR15 (or 25) and Activo CT10 (or 20).

Perhaps Sony A105 or ZX507* or Hiby R5 android DAPs... I think all of those have smaller display sizes at least.

*You can see a size comparison with M11 in minidisc's video

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 8
It's going to be hard to beat the M11's size - they all appear to hit about the same there.
How important is sound quality to you? I just got the M6 and it does allow for offline use of Tidal and is incredibly portable, but the sound quality, well, it sounds like a $120 DAP. Another potential option is the M9 which is somewhere between the size of the M11 and M6 and, so I've heard, sounds pretty good.

Personally, I was not a fan of the M11. I actually returned mine. A lot of people liked it, I just wasn't a big fan of it. But, the size wasn't that bad actually - I had no problem tucking it into my pocket or backpack for commuting. I assume that would apply to DAPs similar in size.

I read that the Fiio M9 is a little bit slow. Sound quality is important to me as I am willing to spend up to 700 US Dollar

Thank you for the other recommendations. I will check the AK SR25 and ZX507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back