PLZ help! buying my first Hi-Fi Cans
Mar 20, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shloosh3

New Head-Fier
FIRST OF ALL IM HAPPY TO BE A NEW MEMBER IN HEAD-FI!!!

well at first i thought about buying a good mp3 player and some good headphones.... but! i understood that i need an amp for a good cans
and that the mp3 player isnt good enough.

i wanted to buy the I audio U3 and grado sr80 or sr125(dont know exactly how much money i have)

do you think the U3 can handle sr80/125?? it has 30mw+30mw
and how those the nano 4gb can handle the sr80?
i dont want to buy such cans like the sr125/80 and to be dissopointed only because my mp3 isnt good enough for them.

for now i have the sen px100 and i enjoy them alot, i heard that grado has sharper sounds and lake in bass? is that true?
IT IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE I HEAR New York House....
if the grado arent good with an mp3 player,what cans should i take instead of them?? i dont like on-ear so much...maybe cx300?

by the way there is a chance that i wont buy an mp3 player...
and instead i will buy a good cans like the sr125 or 225 maybe SEN 595 and an amp.
i live in israel and we have here all the grado,sen,beyer,and sony.
i speciay thinks abput grado because the dont need a lot of ohms
and dont have a lot of money to buy the amp.

what about Pro-Ject Head Box +SR 125?

*sorry about the bad english

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 11
You do not have to get an amp for Grado SR125, they sound quite fine unamped. Of course, adding an amp later may improve the sound, but it is not really required.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex M
You do not have to get an amp for Grado SR125, they sound quite fine unamped. Of course, adding an amp later may improve the sound, but it is not really required.

so they would work fine in the iaudio U3 with 30mw+30mw ???

how does my onbord sound card(lanparty motherboard ac97 ) will effect the quality with the sr125?

and is that true that grad cans are lake in bass?

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 11
the sr125s have less bass than the SR80s IIRC, though all Grado improve bass wise with comfy or flat pads. which bring the driver closer to the ear. Reverseing the bowl pads works also.

edit: the U3 would drive Grados fine, they don't require an amp at all.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 11
Grados don't need an amp to sound good, although an amp will get it that extra 10%. My MS-1s sound pretty good straight out of my Zen Micro, which has a weaker output than the iAudios. Your onboard soundcard should be fine, although you should upgrade to a better add-on soundcard if you have the money.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
The U3 should have no problem driving either set. The SR-80 aren't the friendliest with portable sources in general, but the U3 has more kick to it than most mp3 players. Have you thought about the Alessandro MS-1?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 11
OK GUYS THX!!

but stiil im worried that my ob soundcard will decrease the quality while hearing from my comp.

when im at home i hear 100% of my time from my comp...
what do you think? maybe an emu 0404 with(i heard) an on board amp and a grado sr225?

why does the 125 has less bass then 80? how is the 225 against them?
is there any diffrent when using the U3 and sr80 or s125?
maybe the diffrent between those two will be so small with the u3?, it would be better to save the money?

i cant buy the MS-1 beacause we dont have those cans here....

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 11
I understand you want to use the cans both portable and at home? I wouldn't want to use any Grados in a noisier environment, they don't isolate at all and with their brightness would be a good way to ruin your hearing when cranking up the volume. BTW, the SR125 is known to be very bright, even by Grado standards. Since it seems you have some budget, I'd get two headphones, one for home listening (maybe SR-60 or HD555) and one for portable use (maybe CX300/EP-630, K26P, HD205). The onboard sound may not be much fun, replace with a sound card with decent headphone driving capability then.

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 11
WELL

i think im going to buy an mp3 player+ the sr80!
according to this review ,the sr80 are the best cans there is
for portable devices.

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/porta.htm

"the best sounding headphones I have heard with these devices are the Grado SR60's and SR80's"

according to this:
http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/60vs80.htm

sr80 has more bass than the sr60 and the sr125(only more detailed)

what do you say??
what will be the diffrent(with sr80) between iaudio U3 30mw and X5 20gb with only 20mw???

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Most of the time i use Koss KSC75 for portable,and Grado SR80 for home. Although sometimes i switch and use either for portable or for home,or maybe another headphone i own.....but thats 80% of the time right there.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back