Plussound Audio Thread
Apr 29, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,606 of 1,758
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,609 of 1,758
Plussound had a simple, good sounding one-cable hifi solution for portability, simple as that.

It had, but not anymore, and you are looking for an alternative solution :) Since you are after the convenience rather than pure sound quality, maybe get a wireless bluetooth adapter that has hands-free functionality to pick up calls, like this one. It will also free up usb-c port so you can charge your smartphone/dap and turn your earphones/headphones wireless.

1651259643757.png

May 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,610 of 1,758
It had, but not anymore, and you are looking for an alternative solution :) Since you are after the convenience rather than pure sound quality, maybe get a wireless bluetooth adapter that has hands-free functionality to pick up calls, like this one. It will also free up usb-c port so you can charge your smartphone/dap and turn your earphones/headphones wireless.

Thank you for your kind replies @twister6.

I am actually not looking for an alternative solution, but an alternative brand. Nothing against Plussound, but I find it hard to believe they could really be the only one that offers (offered) this much customization on cables.

I have had many dongles used with my portable gear (Firefly, Mojo, WA8) and I am done with them. Whatever I use to listen while I'm out and about is never going to outclass my home rig*, so keeping my IEM listening as simple as possible (for HiFi standards) is to me a priority, which means being able to take a call with a simple touch of a button and not having yet another thing to carry and/or charge (dongle, Bluetooth cable).

What Plussound had was IMO perfect. Bummer they don't do that anymore; I'm sure they must have had their reasons.

EDIT
* To me the one true advantage custom IEMs have over other types of headphones is the sound isolation, which IMO beat out pretty easily all the other noise canceling ones.
** Had the Plussound Bluetooth cable at one point but sold it. Battery didn't last very long and it had trouble communicating with the phone.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,611 of 1,758
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,612 of 1,758
DSC_1515.jpg

NEW: @PLUSSOUND Gold Plated 6.3mm (1/4") TRS Plug
Available now for custom cables and DIY

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 13, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,613 of 1,758
I bought an Audio Technica ATH-WP900 recently and it is specifically for listening when I’m lying down. Of course, I wanted to upgrade the stock cable, so after researching cable makers that stock AT’s proprietary A2DC connectors, I finally settled on Plussound not knowing what to expect since I’ve had no experience with its product.

It came today and I’m quite impressed with not only the build quality, but also the presentation. I’m burning in the cable now, but upon initial listening, I believe this is going to be a winner. 😁

BBB9D3F9-D7BE-4ECA-8E83-49C0F0A67318.jpeg

May 24, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,615 of 1,758
You list a Connector Type of Sennheiser (IE300/900) when building a cable order. Want to confirm that recently released IE600 would use the same connector type before ordering
I asked the same question in the chat room at PlusSound and they confirmed that the same connector type would be selected for the IE600

May 25, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,616 of 1,758
I’m just now putting this gorgeous X6 hybrid+ through its paces but thought I would share a couple of pics and very early impressions.
No A/B yet, and haven’t listened very critically yet, either. Mostly just trying to ‘get to know’ the cable. I’ll likely compare with my other PS cables in the coming days.

Build quality and craftsmanship are A+, as expected from Christian and his @PLUSSOUND team.
Despite being an X6, the cable is stiffer and thicker than its X8 brothers that I own; not stiff to the point of the ergonomics being bad by any means, it’s just stiffer - still very reasonable for portable use.

Have used it on my U18s, EXT, and (as you can see below) Erkly LE. Three things pop out at me so far based on the Erkly LE (just because that’s what I happen to have in my ears at the moment). Setting 2, DX312EX, Lossless Apple Music: sub-bass pops more than I recall from a pure silver cable (again, I’ll do true A/B in a few days), which is a welcome quality with the Erkly, which is more mid-bass focused. I don’t notice much change to mids, which are still beautifully rendered in Erlky’s “heavier” quality. Treble is smooth and extended. Soundstage is slightly wider than I recall, but still intimate on the Erkly.

More to come but so far, I am super pleased with this cable!

C02087C6-A35B-4452-9DC0-883437386E4F.jpeg
4D6DFD39-2D49-4B4D-9D45-32035111CD55.jpeg

May 25, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #1,617 of 1,758
I’m just now putting this gorgeous X6 hybrid+ through its paces but thought I would share a couple of pics and very early impressions.
No A/B yet, and haven’t listened very critically yet, either. Mostly just trying to ‘get to know’ the cable. I’ll likely compare with my other PS cables in the coming days.

Build quality and craftsmanship are A+, as expected from Christian and his @PLUSSOUND team.
Despite being an X6, the cable is stiffer and thicker than its X8 brothers that I own; not stiff to the point of the ergonomics being bad by any means, it’s just stiffer - still very reasonable for portable use.

Have used it on my U18s, EXT, and (as you can see below) Erkly LE. Three things pop out at me so far based on the Erkly LE (just because that’s what I happen to have in my ears at the moment). Setting 2, DX312EX, Lossless Apple Music: sub-bass pops more than I recall from a pure silver cable (again, I’ll do true A/B in a few days), which is a welcome quality with the Erkly, which is more mid-bass focused. I don’t notice much change to mids, which are still beautifully rendered in Erlky’s “heavier” quality. Treble is smooth and extended. Soundstage is slightly wider than I recall, but still intimate on the Erkly.

More to come but so far, I am super pleased with this cable!

why there is no hybrid+ option at x6 series section in plussound website?

May 25, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,618 of 1,758
why there is no hybrid+ option at x6 series section in plussound website?
you'll have to ask @PLUSSOUND directly why it's not listed as an option.
I simply inquired about it and they made me one. i know it's NOT easy to do because of the nature of the wires.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,619 of 1,758
I have not had the time to properly A/B this cable with other @PLUSSOUND cables I have, but I will do so in the coming days…
In the meantime, I can confirm that the synergy with the U18s is sublime (as well as the Erlky LE). Will focus my A/B on the U18s and VE EXT, between this cable, the X8 tri-silver, and X8 PPH.
6F66F706-F5B9-4AD5-8A7E-840483ACA1E2.jpeg

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #1,620 of 1,758
Wanted to share a few thoughts on the hybrid+ versus tri-silver if helpful for others.
Few points of context:
-Tri-silver is X8, rhodium plated 4.4
-Hybrid+ is X6, also rhodium plated 4.4
-DAP is a DX320, using Amp12EX
-music is via Apple Music, 24-bit, genre is deep/progressive EDM (lane 8, Jerro, anjunadeep, etc)
-I focused my comparisons on the EXT and U18s

This was an interesting comparison for me, in that with the EXT I came away definitely preferring the hybrid+; with the 18s, it’s a toss up, more dependent on mood, specific characteristics of a track, etc.

With the EXT:
The tri-silver is a touch brighter to my ears. If there are tracks that exhibit any tendencies towards harsh mids/treble and/or sibilance, the tri-silver will expose those, while the hybrid+ will smooth that harshness over. The hybrid+ digs deeper in sub-bass. I found the tri-silver to be slightly more resolving and better at retrieving that last bit of detail, but not by much. Staging sounded similar to me between the two. Because I have an acute aversion to harsh upper mids/lower treble, the hybrid+ is the better pair-up for me with the EXT.

With the U18s:
Simmilarly, the tri-silver is brighter, but not to the point where I would pick the hybrid+ over it solely on the basis of treble…I am wondering if this comes down to Tia treble vs estat treble (full disclosure - the treble on the 18s may be my favorite treble of any IEM i’ve heard). In other words, i don’t hear the same tendancies to harshness or sibilance with the 18s and tri-silver as i heard with the EXT and tri-silver. Bass impressions are similar with the EXT - the hybrid+ def brings more slam and emphasis. Interestingly, I heard the stage on the 18s/tri-silver pairing to be slightly wider than the 18s/hybrid+.

Conclusions?
-no silver bullet or easy answers…the ”better” cable will depend on synergy and your sound preferences….as always I suppose!
-hyrbrid+ and EXT for me all day!
-with the u18s, it’s a toss-up
-the differences I’m hearing I’m sure come down to synergy and the core characteristics of the IEMs (i.e., tia treble vs estat treble)
-both are amazing cables and I’m definitely not saying one is better than the other…they both have their place in my collection without a doubt; two masterpieces by Christian and team at @PLUSSOUND

Hope this helps…I’ll be doing some more A/B between the hyrbid+ and PPH next.
5D0F39AC-E66A-4B8C-9926-2629FA2A1E70.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back